"V-Ray for Rhinoceros Failed to Initialize"

My installation of V-ray for Rhino (v2.00.23938) consistently fails to initialize. Upon Rhino load, a message box appears – “V-Ray for Rhinoceros Failed to Initialize” – and then I am unable to launch the plugin. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, to no avail. Every time I go to quit Rhino, it indicates that Rhino has “encountered a problem and needs to close.”

At one point I tried to install the v2.00.249 service release – it was after this that the problems started, so I assume this has something to do with it.

Any thoughts / troubleshooting steps?

Does the license server run?
If you redo the install check to have the LicServer installed and running on startup.

This is the first thing to check.
And, of course, the dongle working.

@skysurfer - I’m at work where we use a floating license server, so no dongle. Others on the network with the same license config settings have no issue.

Here’s a shot in the dark…

Do you have Simlab 3d PDF Exporter installed as well?

I had the same problem, and by absolute chance discovered that Simlab was somehow causing V-Ray to fail!

GM

Thanks @gmacarchitect - no luck there either. Been in touch with Chaosgroup support… still no resolution after a few rounds of back and forth. Very frustrating!

Unlucky! I totally understand how frustrating that gets!

GM

I’d suggest checking your Windows update history and restore system to a point before your problem started occurring. It helped on one of your computers with a similar issue.