Upgrade problem

Just upgraded Ver 4 to Ver 5 from a CD I received l long time ago. The upgrade seemed to work fine although I didn’t do anything complicated to test it. Wanted to run Grasshopper so I downloaded the latest service release for ver. 5 from the McNeel website. The install of the service release didn’t go smoothly, it froze and I had to stop and retry later. Now when I go to start Rhino it freezes, telling me “An update is available” , “Install Now”. When I click on “Install Now,” nothing happens. If I delete the window in task manager it - where it is identified as “Licensing error” Rhino will continue to load.

I’ve tried to reload the service release several times. Any one have any suggestions to fix this?
Thank you,
Carlton

Download and install this:

http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5/latest

During the installation, use the CD key that came with your Rhino CD.

Does this help?

Used the RH50 CD key from the original Ver. 5 upgrade disk during the update.
Didn’t seem to work.
Thanks,
Carlton

Which CD key should I use. The one that came with 5.0 upgrade or the one that came with the original 4.0 CD?

I uninstalled earlier attempted 5.0 upgrade, rebooted, checked that 4.0 with T-splines was still running, downloaded the full 450 Mb file you gave me acces to and reloaded it using the CD key that came with the 5.0 upgrade CD. Rhino still locks up and won’t load and shows the following error message as an autodesk component - which seems strange - : “Unable to initialize adlm.” Is it possible that T-splines is the problem?Thank you again,Carlton

Hi
Let’s start over with the actual error so we have a clue as to what we’re working on.

When you install Rhino V5 using an upgrade key, the installer will ask for your old key code as a qualifier.
The dialogs are very clear as to what to enter.
The RH50 code will be asked for first, then the upgrade qualifying key code (RH40 in your case) later in the install process.

Please make a Sharpie note on your V5 DVD to NOT use it and to instead download the current build referenced above and install from that.

IF you run into additional errors, please take a screenshot and return it in a reply so we see what you’re seeing.

Thanks