Tool bars loss

This is not a new topic.
For years I lose my toolbars whenever I update Rhino or a Plug-in. I use two monitors and fill the second one with all the toolbars I use regularly. I try to save the layout but have no success with that so I am missing a step somewhere.

Somewhere Rhino is remembering … when I bring the toolbar layout box and click on a toolbar it come into the correct location but I have to do it one at a time until the whole layout is replaced.

How can I reset them all at once?

thanks,
eric

Hi Eric,

_ToolbarReset restores toolbars to the default layout. But be careful and read the note about this command in the helpfile before you use it. It will close all toolbar (rui) files, including your custom ones or plugin toolbars.

c.

Yes, I have made this mistake. But how do I make my customized layout the default? I have attempted to do this a couple of times but it just sets up a toolbar with whatever name I assign and it will not reset … when the disappearing problem occurs the customized one becomes unchecked.

thanks,
eric

@eric, are the customized toolbar(s) part of the default workspace or located in a seperated workspace ?

c.

Hi Clement,

Yes, they are in the standard toolbar manager box … and are now simply under default. ( in the past I had them under a custom name but the same problem occurred) . I check all the ones I want and (drag) place them on the second monitor. They hold until a Rhino update comes along or, often, when a plug in updates.

After they are lost I use the same toolbar manager and when I check them again they place themselves into the same position they were in before they disappeared.

@johnm - any idea what to check here?

-Pascal

Hi Eric,

Just wondering if it would be useful to write a script which saves and restores your toolbar visibility states, eg. “Save” would just make a file with the toolbar names which are visible. “Restore” reads that file and makes visible what has been undesirably hidden, in one go. If your toolbar layout is not changing, this might be done with simple button macro too, eg. the below example shows the “Lines” toolbar. If it is already visible it does nothing.

_-Toolbar _Toolbar "default" _Show "Lines" _Yes _EnterEnd

Just make a macro for your visible toolbars in the default workspace and put it into a new button. Then when things are missing, hit that button :wink:

c.

Hi Clement …

I would imagine that I would have to list all the checked toolbars in the macro for that to work ??

thanks,

eric

Hi Eric,

yes, only the ones which are visible. Just duplicate the example line above, one line for every toolbar title. “default” is the name of the workspace, “Lines” is the Toolbar title. Finally copy all text into a toolbar button command or, alternatively into a textfile which could be loaded using ReadCommandFile.

c.

Thanks Clement …

I very much appreciate your help … I have no idea why Rhino does this or
why it has not been fixed … I have been having this problem for years and
though it has improved a little over time it is a persistent bug for me.
While it only takes a few minutes each time I have to fix it it is a
continuing nuisance. Other wise Rhino is a great tool.

cheers,
eric

1 Like