The rhino-python package for the Atom text editor and Rhino for Mac

just to be sure.
are you using a .py file in atom? is rhino open with StartAtomEditorListener?

Yes. After starting and restarting about 4 or 5 times, it seems to have started working now… Don’t ask me why…

Anyway, this just to test to see if it works, as I will virtually always be developing on my Windows box, I have a network shortcut to my Mac/Scripts folder (shared it), so I can just save a copy of my script there for testing after it’s running on Windows.

Now I would like to be able to set the default scripts folder on Mac to be one of the folders in my Dropbox…

–Mitch

The gremlins again, suppose …

I agree. I wonder if an Alias subfolder in default OSX Rhino Scripts folder from a Dropbox folder …

That Folder Links To This One …

Now I would have to figure this out for my Windows machine as well. Don’t have one here at home, try at work tomorrow.

fwiw «Randy

It’s easier… Sorta. Open the Python editor and under Tools>Options>Files tab, set a path to your desired folder.

However, the powers that be seem to have decided that the Editor should look in the last-used directory as a default rather than letting the user set a fixed default directory. So if you happen to load or save a script from/to somewhere else than your designated folder, that’s where it will open the next time… I do wish for a hard default similar to the one Rhino used for templates…

–Mitch

Right, so in Windows is there a default folder for python scripts ? I seem to remember from the old Rhino-Python site it mentioning one. I haven’t scripted in Windows much. I may have some time next week.

Thanks again

Well, as I said, sorta… You can set as many paths in there as you want. Unfortunately, the paths do not parse subfolders…

So if you have one folder in which you dump all your python scripts, and you set a path to that in the editor, then setting up an alias like

! _-RunPythonScript "MyScript"

where MyScript is the file name, it should find the script and run.

For me it’s unfortunate that it doesn’t do subfolders, as my Python scripts folder has about 50 subfolders with well over 500 scripts and growing. It’s still smaller than my collection of VB scripts.

–Mitch

1 Like

That really don’t like the idea of just crawling sub-folders. You can always run a script in a subfolder using standard python ‘dot’ syntax

! _-RunPythonScript “mysubfolder.myscript”

Yeah, but if I need to specify what subfolder it’s in, I may as well program the entire file path… :smiling_imp:

I’m finding the autocomplete rather overwhelming and a bit too “strong”… I’m used to using Enter as confirming the selection (as works in both the Windows editors). I set this in autocomplete plus settings. However, if I write import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs, it insists on trying to find an autocomplete for rs… which includes pretty much ANYTHING that includes the letters rs somewhere in the phrase. And as I want to end the line after rs, I hit Enter and it autocompletes… something… which I didn’t want.

–Mitch

As you’ve already found you can change the suggestions confirmations key bindings to ‘tab’, ‘enter’, or ‘tab and enter’.

The completions that come from content in your existing document comes from a built-in provider that comes with autocomplete+. You might like it once you get used to it but if not you can turn it off with the “Enable Builtin Provider” under autocomplete+ settings.

Hmm, I didn’t/don’t find that setting. I see “Include Completions from All Buffers”, but that’s not checked. Other than that I don’t see anything about “providers” in autocomplete plus settings… :confused:

Strange … It’s right under “Include Completions from All Buffers” on my screen:

not on mine…

You’re right. I had not cleared my config settings. At least you know what’s coming in the next release :slight_smile:

[edit: tried with the latest release, same problem]

Seeing an error on this config:

OSX 10.10.2 (14C109)
Rhino 5A701, 5A706
Atom 0.180.0

When I try to run this script with ctrl-opt-r

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
from Rhino.Geometry import Point3D
rs.AddCircle(Point3d.Origin, 5.0)

I get this error in Rhino:

Exception occurred:

Traceback:
line 2, in , “/Users/jet/Desktop/tmp/mypythonscript.py”

And sometimes Atom hangs and doesn’t respond, I have to quit and relaunch.

There’s a typo in your script:
Point3D should be Point3d

Just checking … you have the 1.1.0 version of the autocomplete-plus package?

d’oh. yeah, the case was the problem.

$ apm list | grep autocomplete
├── autocomplete@0.44.0
├── autocomplete-plus@1.1.0

What’s the latest version of Atom that works with MacRhino that we should be using now? Thanks, --Mitch

hi Mitch

i’m up to date on all relevant pieces and everything appears to be working well.

Rhino: 5A766w
Atom: 0.189
rhino-python: 0.6.1 (atom package)
autocomplete-plus: 2.7.1

autocomplete:

help:

even rhinoscriptsyntax is now being found with autocomplete-plus… that one didn’t work for a while:

Thanks, just noticed Atom update from 0.188 to 0.189. Glad to hear Autocomplete-plus can be updated.