Sweep function question

Hello, my partner is using Gemvision Matrix, and he pointed out that there is a “profile sweep” function, that would draw a sweep between 2 (parallel) curves without a user rail input… Is there a similar function in Rhino, or does one always have to specify a rail?

thanks.

It sounds like you’re describing Loft.
Sweeping implies lofting along a curve or two curves.
Without a rail, you’re describing Loft.

that’s the thing, loft produces straight walled surfaces, but the “profile sweep” in Matrix does the bent piping sort of thing…to maintain the max diameter of the piping, so there is no pinching if the curves are close together (i refer to the top sprue…one in purple done in matrix -profile sweep, one in red is rhino- loft

The purple one looks like what Sweep1 would do, or Loft with multiple profiles.
If you have three or more profile curves, then Loft will flow between them. It’s only straight if you have 2 profile curves. The advantage of Sweep1 is you can control how one profile flows from one to the other.

:slight_smile: thanks John! but here is the original question, in sweep1 i have to draw a rail curve, but in profile sweep (matrix) i do not…the program somehow calculates the rail by itself, and it is never a straight line, it is always a bent curve… i just wanted to know how this works :slight_smile: so far for years i have been drawing the rail, but seems as my partner is skipping the rail step, and we get very similar result in the end.

but anyway, i think i got the answer : keep drawing that rail line :))

That makes sense. There would be no reason for Gemvision to duplicate an existing Rhino command under a different name.

You get something similar if you make a copy of each profile and loft through the 4 profiles. Make a copy of the top profile just above and a copy of the bottom profile just below.

Mark

if you use _ExtrudeCrv on the top&bottom circles to make a temporary pipe, you can then use _BlendSrf which will allow you to control the continuity and shape a little more.

Mark and Jeff! Thank you so much!!! this is it!, i think this is exactly how that Gemvision button functions. You are awesome :)) “profile sweep” creates a temporary mini extrusion and “loose” lofts it to the next profile curve.

thank you !!

Something else to experiment with, if you use history for the loft and array you can move the guide curves and it’ll update.
Mark.