Slow Rhino with 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse. 5.0.1, OS X 10.9.5

Use about 1 year SpaceMouse 3D Connexion for Rhino.
For me it is essential but I instability problems. After working for a few hours, the orbit and zoom movement becomes very jerky (especially if you turn the transparency of the default material). In some cases the joystick SpaceMouse stops working (while still performs the orbit zoom by mouse etc.). The only solution is the closure of Rhino and a restart your Mac. After several months I can say that I have a strong feeling that when working on a project, always leaving running Rhino, after some time come the problems of instability. For complete information, I use the SpaceMouse with his left hand, the right to use a Wacom tablet (both with wire) and the magic trackpad is always active. The drivers are updated. I trust in a solution and give my availability to any test. Thank you.
@BrianJ @dan

Hi Simon-

First, please note that the only 3DConnexion device officially supported (at the moment) in Rhino 5 for Mac is the SpaceNavigator. Other 3DConnexion devices may or may not work as expected.

Second (and this more of a FYI): the way that the 3DConnexion is currently implemented in Rhino 5 for Mac is a legacy of the way that support for these devices was historically implemented in Rhino.

Finally, once we release an official SDK for third-party plugin developers, I would hope that the good people at 3DConnexion will be working to support more of their devices in a more (shall we say?) modern way. Let me stress: the onus is on us as much as them. We are in contact with 3DConnexion (they are likely reading this thread) and are we are all aware of these problems.

Thanks for the reply @dan . A translation error from my language, I use the Space Navigator. I sent a distress call to the support of 3D connexion.

Hi dan.
I do not know if it depends on the mouse 3d SpaceNavigator, but I’m looking Rhino 5.1 and wip big slowdown during pan and orbit. Rhino closing and relaunching the situation returns to “normal”. So I suspect that there are still problems with memory management.

And you’re still on Mavericks, I presume?

Yes, I can not update yet because of programs critical to my work.

We plan to release an updated RhinoWIP in the next couple of days. This will be the first RhinoWIP built with the new El Capitan SDK. I will be interested to hear if this problem persists in the upcoming RhinoWIP.

I will provide my feedback with pleasure. Thank you Dan.

Even with the latest WIP the problem remains. I verified that the slowdown occurs during auto save.

Please post your Rhino info from Rhinoceros > About Rhinoceros > More Info… > Copy to clipboard.

I am confused about the problem you are reporting. In yesterday’s post, you said that Rhino slows down during pan and orbit. Today you are reporting that Rhino slows down during autosave. These seem to me to be unrelated. Could you please describe, with a lot of detail, exactly how to duplicate the problem you are having?

Please be patient in trouble to explain the problem in English.
They are not able to establish 100% if the problem of slowing down during the pan and orbit and blocking both depend from the car rescue.
I can confidently say three things: 1) the block while working is due to self rescue (Finder window open with preview files of running this show) 2) when I observed a big slowdown in the pan and orbit, the closure and the reopening Rhino has solved the problem temporarily. 3) NOT there were problems when working RAM or excessive use of the CPU (monitoring activities)

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.2 WIP (5C41w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.132
Language: it (MacOS default)
OS X version: Versione 10.9.5 (Build 13F1112)

Plug-ins
/Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient
/Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax/Contents/MacOS/SIMBL
/Users/xxxxxxxxxxxx/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/Afloat.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Afloat

Third party kernel extensions
com.3dconnexion.driver (10.2.3)
com.karios.driver.DuetDisplay (1)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac13,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 32 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440
Displays: iMac (109dpi 1x)

USB devices
Wacom Co.,Ltd.: CTH-460
3Dconnexion: SpaceNavigator
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple: Apple Wireless Trackpad

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.26.29 310.40.55f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bit
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: Yes

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: Nessuno
Anisotropic filtering: Nessuno

You reported a problem with autosaving here. That problem is fixed and is in both 5.1 and the current 5.2 WIP release. I have tested this today on 10.9.5 and autosave will not start while using the 3DConnexion mouse on 10.9.5.

You have the SIMBL plugin installed and you have a Duet Display driver installed and they are both attached to the Rhino application. I have neither of these. For testing, please remove both of these from your computer and see if that fixes your problem.

If you would like, please answer in your native language and I will have someone in McNeel translate your answer.

Thanks for the reply. I removed the plugin and set out a test. When the autosave occurs there is a block of about 5 seconds. When the preview of the file on the Finder updates, Rhino starts to respond. This always occurs.
Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.2 WIP (5C41w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.132
Language: it (MacOS default)
OS X version: Versione 10.9.5 (Build 13F1112)

Plug-ins
/Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient

Third party kernel extensions
com.3dconnexion.driver (10.2.3)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac13,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 32 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440
Displays: iMac (109dpi 1x)

USB devices
Wacom Co.,Ltd.: CTH-460
3Dconnexion: SpaceNavigator
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple: Apple Wireless Trackpad

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.26.29 310.40.55f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bit
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: Yes

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: Nessuno
Anisotropic filtering: Nessuno

Update: while working with the files, after creating a curve control “section” the pan and orbit have become slow and jerky, it was impossible to select some items. After saving the file closed Rhino and then reopened the file, pan and orbit were again fully functional and you could select the objects normally. video problem: no select.mp4 (9.4 MB)
After restarting Rhino:yes select.mp4 (4.9 MB)