Size of the textures

how can I get the size of the textures remain constant, regardless of of the object dimensions? How can I learn more about the use of materials?
Thank you
Giuseppe

Texture paglioli.3dm (594.8 KB)

In Rhino 5 for Mac you can adjust the texture mapping method used for a specific selection to control how a texture in a material is applied. This is done via the “Object” inspector panel to the right. If you have more than one object selected, you’ll need to use one of the texture mapping commands to change both in unison. In this case, I’d suggest using ApplyPlanarMapping and then picking the bounding box option for alignment and size of the plane mapping method.

The commands to change an objects texture mapping all begin with “Apply”. To adjust the mapping interactively after it’s created, use the commands MappingWidget and MappingWidgetOff when done.

The Object Properties>Texture Mapping section of Rhino for Mac does not match the Rhino for Windows interface but you may still find this video tutorial useful for explaining the concepts…

1 Like

I think we are talking about two different things. I wish that the image used for texture is always represented on a surface with the same dimensions (20x15 cm); for example, if the surface has the dimensions of 200x 30cm, the app should take care that the image is automatically repeated 10 times in length, and 2 times in width. the image is like a tile that I would like to repeat to get a floor with a certain design; the tile must not change in size if the floor is larger or smaller.

There’s nothing like that in the texture mapping or material controls in Rhino Render on the Mac to my knowledge. It is something I’ve seen in more advanced rendering plugins so hopefully it will become available at a later date.

I really can not believe that so basic function is not available in Rhino. This means that if I want to have a surface composed of a drawing of a fixed size that is repeated, constant steps, vertically or horizontally, I should draw the individual element and repeat with the commands Series.
But the computer should serve above all to simplify repetitive tasks.
I attach an example of how working ArchiCad, it seems very simple.

1 Like

I’m always drawing a boat, and these are the interior floors of wood. It 'clear that they can not be so and that the rhythm of the slats must be constant. There must be an easy way to do it.
paglioli.3dm (857 KB)

I can make the slats uniform using ApplyPlanarMapping and then adjusting the mapping widget interactively using the MappingWidget command.

This method does not have the real world scale that you mention as that’s a feature of the rendering plugin being used. I apologize that Rhino Render does not have this for you now but it can be managed manually as shown.

Thanks BrianJ, the system is quite useful in the absence of a proper function, but as you see, then if I need to change the size of an object, you should go through the whole process.
Senza titolo.pdf (727 KB)

If you change the size of the object use the command MatchMapping afterwards and select an object that has the correct mapping to be applied as the one to match.

These commands exist for Rhino Render on PC too but there is an interface there to make them more obvious. Hopefully we can add more of a user interface for texture mapping in Rhino for Mac soon. I filed this need already for future reference.
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/MR-688

I have also drawn a vessel and need to add wood floor to the decks. I am new to Rhino and can’t find a tutorial on how to do the slats, any recommendations. I don’t mind using the mapping method but I don’t even know what you are talking about )

Apologies on a super late reply but on the off chance you still need any help, please post a 3dm file and the texture you wish to map onto the slats. It sounds like it’s the ApplyPlanarMapping command that you were looking for. You would also need to make a material with your image texture to apply to the slats.

Hello Brian,
Thank you for sharing this video.
I have Rhino 5 for Mac, do you know why I do not have the panels option in my Rhino?

Thanks in avance!
Sincerely,
Dora-Jin Qian

Hi Dora-Jin

Rhino 5 for Mac doesn’t have a Panels drop down menu if that is what you meant. The functionality to edit a selections texture mapping object property is in the Objects section of what are called the inspector panels which you see on the right side of your screen.

In Rhino 5 for Mac you’ll need to run the texture mapping commands as well from the toolbar you have shown with more than one object selected. In your screenshot it looks like just one object is selected and you have picked Custom in the object properties, you should be able to scroll down to choose the custom mapping method.

1 Like

Hello Brian,
Thank you for your answer. I attached the screenshot, is that what you mean?
My apologies for any mis understanding in advance.
I have another question, I could not find decal function as well, do you know why? If Mac version does not have the function, is there any other way to do that in Rhino?
Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Dora

I solved this issue by setting XYZ size to 1,1,1 in the texture mapping object properties and then adjusting the repeat property of the material’s texture properties if needed.