Single line option for text object

seems there is currently no option for single line text in TextObject command.

this renders a number of Font options useless, especially when preparing text work for machining and the necessity for single line text has massive implications for time/cost.

have not looked into the brute force scripting approach. example:

any thoughts or suggestions? i may very well be missing an obvious solution to this.

TextObject, when using a single stroke font, should work when checking “Allow single stroke fonts”.

Hi Daclark,
You can download a Single Stroke font from here.
After download, double click on RhSS.ttf and pick Install.
Your Mac Font Book will appear.

At this point you can create the text curves with TextObject command in Rhino.
Browse for the RhSS in “all fonts” category.
Don’t be disappointed when you see it.
It is good for machining, but does not display well.

Let us know if this works for you.
Sincerely,
Mary Fugier

1 Like

Thank you Mary! You are very kind to share this remarkable font. Have a great day.

-Wes

Is this only for Mac… is there an option for windows? and that will transfer to autocad?

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/engravingfonts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but for me the RhSS font only generates weird outlines. I have no option of selecting single stroke font. I am not sure how this can be a solution for mac users. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Hi - you need to use the TextObject command to get the Allow single stroke fonts option.
-wim

Hi Wim, I am using that command. Somehow it doesn’t show up for me, see my screenshot :slight_smile:

using Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.5.4 (5F93)
Rhinoceros path: /Applications/Rhinoceros.app
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511)

Hoi Marinus - that is expected behavior.
As Mary wrote above:

Don’t be disappointed when you see it.

In that dialog box the text will appear like that but when you create the TextObject in the viewport, it should look fine.
-wim

Ohhhkay, so it’s supposed to look like this?

Hi Marinus - no that’s not supposed to look like that.

I see that it does that in Rhino 5 here as well but it’s fixed in Rhino 6. Have you tried running the Rhino 6 Beta?
-wim

1 Like

hey Wim (and @ohmarinus). . heads up…

this functionality was never in Rhino For Mac V5…

V6 only

2 Likes

Thanks @jeff_hammond and @wim , I ‘assumed’ it was because this option was mentioned back in 2015. I don’t think Rhino 6 was already in beta back then? So I expected this to be in Rhino 5. Sadly I cannot partake in the beta, my system is still on Yosemite because I am using a few pieces of software that don’t work above Yosemite… So I can’t make the switch. Even though I’d love to!