Seqential Cross-Sections Along A Curve (.ply or .stl)

Hello!
I have a bit of a specific task that I hope to accomplish . I have a series of mammal teeth in .stl and .ply format. The teeth have a large amount of curvature from top to bottom. I need to take cross-sections along the length of the tooth, intersecting the surface at a 90 degree angle.
Thank you for any potential recommendations!

Jackson

Hi Jackson - the Section command will help - if you want them to all fall on a specific arc, mark the center with a point and use that to help - another option - make a polar array of lines and Project them through the meshes.
If you have a more complex curve,(or even just radial) try the script for SectionRadlal and SectionPath, here:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/people/pascalgolay
Ancient, but workable, last time I checked.

-Pascal

Pascal,

Foremost, thank you for the response. I’ve having trouble initiating the script. I’ve downloaded it, extracted it, and dropped it into an open Rhino project and the program states, “Cannot find script file C:\CT Applications\Rhino\Utility\radialsections\RadialSections.rvb”

Do you have any suggestions? I’m running Rhino 5.0. Thanks for your time!

Jackson

Hi Jackson - hmmm - is that path where the file is now? Once you drag it onto Rhino, you need to leave it in place…

-Pascal

Pascal,

I’ve gotten the script to work. I’m able to create a polyline along the internal contour of my tooth:

How do I use that to extend the cross-sections through the tooth and extract 2D slices through the 3D material?

Jackson

Hi Jackson - Can you send me an example file via private message? The thing should be making slices.

-Pascal

I believe I sent it. Please let me know if you received it.

Jackson