Sculpting in Rhino

Coming from an architecture background where the geometries are relatively flat and easily comprehensible, I was wondering if there is a better workflow for what I am doing. Drone design is a hobby of mine and I am trying to design the fuselage/shell. The difficulty is that I don’t know what my final form looks like, but I want to push and pull on control points to test and feel my way through.

1. What is the best way to work with a surface that has a lot of control points? How do we get the rate of surface curvature to be smooth?

2. Is there a way to record history on the blendsrf command?

3. Is there a way to blendsrf and subtract into the surface at the same time? Sort of like how filletedge will cut into both surfaces. If only those control handles could move into the surface instead of only outwards from the edge. Unless it is assumed that the surfaces are at ideal state to start with.

160503 Model.3dm (143.9 KB)

Lawrence,

There are some very good videos on you tube regarding your question here is a link to one of the best I have seen. I think your question will be answered in it. If not Rhino TV and you tube are the places to go for great tutorials.

All my best … Danny

To add to question 1, I find myself in situations where I have a lot of control points and want to do a rectangular selection. This helps when the control points are on the other side of the surface when I’m in a 2D orthographic view. But when there is other geometry in the region, it also get selected. Is there a way to isolate the geometry you are editing? Sort of like how block edit locks everything else, but I don’t want to block all my geometry. Is there a way to edit in isolation?

Hi Lawrence - as a rule, if you know you are going to pull points, you’ll want to define the shape with as few control points as possible, adding complexity only as needed (InsertKnot, InsertControlPoint) To select points see

SelUV
SelU/SelV
NextU/NextV
PrevU/PrevV
AddNextU (etc)
SelBrushPoints
Lasso
testSelUVRectangle (unsupported but handy test command implemented in V6 as SelControlPointRegion)
InvertPt

See also
MoveUVN,
DragMode (ControlPolygon and UVN in particular)
SetSurfaceTangent

probably some others I’m not thinking of at the moment…

-Pascal

You should try TSplines.

Ditto that…t-splines will make your life a whole lot easier.

@lawrenceyy Clipping planes may do what you are asking for. Command to create a clipping plane is ClippingPlane Note that an individual clipping plane only works in one viewport.