Rhino on double screen freezes computer completely

Hi everybody.
I’m using a licensed Rhino 5 64 bit on a Windows computer and a double screen setup.

When I reduce the Rhino window so that it’s not maximized and I drag it from one screen to another (for example to see an underlying window), Rhino oftentimes freezes, freezing my computer completely.

This means I cannot move my cursor, I cannot summon the task manager, and I cannot do anything but a hard restart. I even tested it with a small file and it happened still.

One thing I noticed is that when this started happening, Photoshop also started displaying a similar behavior, in that when I perform the same action (reducing and dragging to second screen) it crashes (not freezing the computer though.)

Any idea? I’d be grateful for any suggestion.

Mike C.

it has nothing to do with rhino but your computer setup. please provide your computer hardware and windows version please.

Hi. This could be due to many factors and would depend on hardware setup.
Are you running both screens from a single graphics card, or on separate cards?
Windows version ? 7 ? 8? etc.?
Graphics Card mode, make etc.?
I think you will get better advice if you can supply this information first. Michael VS

I’m running Windows 7 Professional.
I’m using 2 gaphics cards, an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series and an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT.

Sorry for omitting this information and thanks for your reply!

Michael C

I’m running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
I’m using 2 gaphics cards, an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series and an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT.

8GB Ram, processors are 2: Intel Xeon E5520 2.27Ghz and 2.39Ghz

Sorry for omitting this information and thanks for your reply!

Michael C

Michael,
I don’t quite understand why you are running two graphics cards especially if one or both have two plugs for your monitors. I just tested my machine and dragged rhino to my second monitor, rhino automatically reduces itself when this was done. I then did the same thing with my photo software that was open at the same time, it also reduces itself. Both programs were open at the same time.

I encountered no problems. If I were you I would plug both monitors into one card and see if this solves your problem.

I only have one card on my machine.

All my best … Danny

Hello Michael
I have run multiple cards and monitors for some years now, with a combination of quadro and geforce together.
i also run 1 monitor per card, but in this case because the cards are both Nvidia chips they co-exist 99% of the time quite happily and allow for dragging across screens.
In your case I think the mix of AMD and Nvidia cards could be at the root of your problems, since each screen is effectively using a different driver which supports different hardware acceleration for not only the Windows 7 desktop but also for OpenGL(Rhino Viewport) etc. and for completely different GPU architectures(AMD and Nvidia).
I wouldn’t throw out the concept of 2 x GPUs/ 2 x Screens, but I would at least make sure both cards either Red Team(AMD) or Green Team(Nvidia). Michael VS

1 Like