Rhino Input Aids

In this thread, I will post my input aid notes. ANyways, I have a basic mindmap showing the types aids you can use for input. Be that coordinates, interactively selecting in commands, selecting objects to be affected before or during command, reference angles, etc…

For now this is what I have. As I go, I’ll have organized ways to mindmap the selection buttons/filters, and details of the use of each feature. It will eventually branch off into all selections/input, even information pertaining to reference angle selection/alignment, directions, and getting results you want. Since many commands perform far differently depending on which u or v curve you select, baselines etc…That’s the ultimate goal. Then anytime I have a selection issue of any kind, wham bamm.

Have a look at www.gliffy.com - you may find it easier to create a neater mindmap and/or better still, a flowchart following standard protocols which will be easy to follow for everyone.

By asking simple questions and answering Yes / No you can quickly pull together a standard format which feeds into itself.

It does feel like you’re pawing over the intricacies for a car, looking at how the window winds up and down and which fuse is linked to what light before you’ve even turned the key and taken a drive :wink:

You’re in a sandbox, there are no police, array and extrude like no one is watching!

Ya, the program vue, is downloadable, you don’t got sign up for anything. You can use it when the internet is down, you do not have to share your work with anyone. It is very user friendly. You hotkey to add what is called a node. Then you get all your info down. Then you make connections with arrows. The arrows move with the nodes as you rearrange them.

Basically you can actually use a brainflow as its supposed to work. If you slow down to figure out what format to use before you actually get your thoughts down, you lose out in my opinion. Then as you put all your info together, you can figure out how to get it fit on a sheet of paper. You can create infinitely large maps. It presentations are actually much cooler than powerpoint. You can make a 6 foot by 6 foot map with size 15 font, and make a presentation pathway with all kinds of options as to speed, etc… I don’t think you could do that with most online software that’s similar.

With most of the mindmap things out there, you choose a format before you do it. You type the info in a hierarchy tab on the right or left of the screen.

With this kind, you can ctrl click any of the items,and copy the formatting/style color to them, and go.

Like for the 4 mindmaps I made for filter queries. They are all in 1 map, with different spots. Copy these, paste over there, move em around, etc…

Anywho, I was just saying how user friendly this program is. and its free and a open source project made by students. The services that charge for the same type things aren’t even as user friendly.

To flow, as a mindmap on paper is supposed, you generate ideas as many and unrelated as you can. Then when you slow down, you start making connections, and get going again, etc…On paper, you’ll go through 10 sheets of paper to get your final best presentation or for memory recall based format. With the program, you drag, copy, hotkey new info, connect it, etc…

Its truly fun, but only because its a orderly way of having disorderly arrangements of thoughts.

Also check out the differences between a flowchart, and a mindmap. A mindmap usually has hierarchy included, whereas flowcharts do not put a emphasis on hierarchy. Example would be Rhino. A mindmap way of doing tings would like computer>software>3d>rhino . A flowchart may be rhino in the middle>3d >geometry >imaging >model as like sidebranches.

When you hybred, you get better maps. This is because of the organization of categorizing, organizing your neural networks, neural pathways etc. Overall, the more associations you make with any information, be that hands on, varieties of linguistics, varieties of formats, etc, the better. If you make a quiz for 1 piece of information and only format the question 1 time. You might not recall it as well as rephrasing the information in 5 different questions. Because you might just remember the format of the question, not the actual information. Believe me, I whip through my quizzes without even reading the questions. It gets to the point where I look at the first 3 words and thing a summary answer and move on before getting to the fourth word. But I still don’t know, the info. That’s why I sometimes make note to have the same question 3-4 times in a quiz, in different question formats to actually understand and remember each thing. Each piece for information calls for a unique question format, as per the type of information, as well as other formats of questions.

Knowing this, I like the mindmap software that allows me to represent everything, with hybred format that I had to actually think like a teacher on the best way to learn, the best way to use as a cheat sheet, etc…

If you only do matching questions on a quiz for yourself, or only to do a table, I think someone ell understand.

Theres plenty of things that may look nice in a table, with checkmarks for features, but they don’t have the details, or elaborate for specifications on that feature for that specific record.

Lets say a program, with a list of features, and 4 versions. Home, Pro, Business Pro, Ultra Business Pro.

The standard tables with checkmarks do an okay job of saying what does what, but lack details. Anything can be hidden in that. User friendly interface can mean that they have menu options. As kinda started with windows 95. Theres a million tricks in those tables. I emailed a company about a pro version of software last week to clarify stuff from these tables. I had about 15 questions, about details of those boxes.

Now as for rhino being userfreindly, woahhhhhh. That’s why I got rhino to choose as my go to 3d software for life. Not that many other programs are as user friendly as rhino. Program your own macros, buttons, toolbars. With your own bitmaps for buttons, change the menu items to your liking. Change tabs to your liking. That’s a whole heck of a lot of custom options. Getting a keyboard with 7 programmable modifier keys, and mouse with 12 buttons, I’m be whizzing. With rhino already being so easy to u…hole on, I had to choose use from the options that popped up real quick.

Also, I hope I’m not coming off as a smart a$$, know it all. I’m just putting up a couple mindmaps which you might not be able to understand because you didn’t make em, and may have a much smart brain than me who doesn’t study, make quizzes, and just remembers things by reading a thread or two. I am wackbrained, and if you would like to try to digitize/scan my notes from my bankers boxes full of notes, and organize them for me, I would greatly appreciate it. We’ll see when I get that done! I have been doing all new stuff digitized for the most part, cutting down on clutter, etc. My notes from years ago though, have no shot. So many wacky inventions, with little detail, designs, jokes, notes, etc

But that’s the way it is. If you can sit down with a blank piece of paper, and just say. Hmm, okay, I’ma design a dogleash, with three gears, and doggie poo bag dispenser and just do it, then props to you. Figuring out the spring tension, material for spring, how many coils, coil spacing, figuring out whether you need a custom spring handmade on a lathe, what lathe gears, buying them premade, having them made, plastic molding yada, yada is gonna take some, mess! I know nothing about plastic, molds for injection, machine capabilities, polymer research, nothing. So, I wont get into dogleashes!

I have been working on some stuff though. Mindmaps, and editing images so much, I wish there was a hotmouse device that worked as well as a keyboard! Yesterday my hand was so sore from dragging and clicking that I was trying to learn to use the mouse left handed. Doing hokeys with my left hand utilizing my pinkie, right hand with thumb, middle finger and pinkie, etc…Carpal Tunnel, here I come. But don’t get me started on that stuff. Just use your thumb, middle finger, and left hand more. Easier if your a hunt and pecker. Some bad form can be a good thing.

It was actually for the next step to add structure, but I guess we all have our ways of working :slight_smile:

Good luck!

You got it, exactly what I lack.