Rhino for Mac does not run on public beta of OS X El Capitan

Rhino for Mac crashes if run on the public beta of OS X El Capitan. We do not have an estimate of when this will be fixed, other than saying that this will be fixed before OS X El Capitan is released in October 2015.

1 Like

Bummer, I just realized this after updating to El Capitan. Serves me right for using beta software I guess. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any way for me to roll back the update so I’m sort of screwed.

That´s what I get:

1 Like

Rhino runs as 64-bit I believe, so the following supplemental released today will probably have no effect, but if you’ve already “broken” your MacRhino, can’t hurt to try…maybe… :wink:

The update sadly doesn’t fix it.

1 Like

Interestingly, I had been using Rhino under the initial El capitan betas before they went public, so something went back in time. Upon update, they broke.

I for one would love to see a beta for el capitan support be made available as the public OS X release nears. Unfortunately this does not resonate with august being the last string of evaluation licenses.

Perhaps for the develops out there who purchase a Rhino license could gain access to an el capitan beta as Mcneal nears support?

[quote=“Hatchman, post:7, topic:22492, full:true”]
I for one would love to see a beta for el capitan support be made available as the public OS X release nears. Unfortunately this does not resonate with august being the last string of evaluation licenses. [/quote]
either i’m unclear on what you’re saying or you’re unclear on how the evaluation licenses work… it’s not 3 months from rhino for mac release… it’s 3 months from whenever any individual chooses to begin the evaluation period.

that will probably happen… as is, any licensed user has access to the WIPs. once el capitan support is being messed with, we’ll probably see it in the beta first then a rhino ServiceRelease when 10.11 releases.

1 Like

Having the same problem here. I’ve managed to run rhino for windows on parallels but it’s very annoying. I wish apple to release another beta soon. From examining the log I thought the reason was because of the rootless feature. But turning it off didn’t make any changes. It ran on beta 1 so what changed? Anyone have a clear idea?

I’m enjoy “El Capitan”, having that said it has broken a few apps :(, Rhino is one of them… I knew what I was getting into.

I have a question regarding METAL, will a “future” Rhino version be able to take advantage of this?

@marlin I’m just curious (i know there is plenty of other things in the to do list).

M

1 Like

Rhino is working again on the second public beta.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0.2 (5A865)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: de (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.11 (Build 15A225f)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac9,1
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8335 @ 2.93GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: iMac (94dpi 1x)

1 Like

Does rhino run on the public beta OS X El Capitan already? could someone confirm this?

@Edgar_Cortes: Jep it’s still working with OS X 10.11 Public Beta 3, seems to be that Apple has done something wrong with the public beta 1 (Build 15A215h).

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0.2 (5A865)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: de (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.11 (Build 15A234d)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac9,1
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8335 @ 2.93GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: iMac (94dpi 1x)

The Work in Progress version of Mac Rhino released August 12, 2015 will now install correctly and run on OS X El Capitan public beta 3 and later. Rhino for Mac version 5.0.2 does not install correctly on OS X El Capitan. This will be fixed when Rhino for Mac 5.1 is released.

Owners of Rhino for Mac will be able to use the WIP version, but will need a license of Rhino for Mac to use the WIP. To download the latest WIP, visit http://www.rhino3d.com/go/download/rhino-for-mac/wip/latest

I have the latest beta El Capitan 15A243d and Rhino5 for Mac works perfectly. I had only recently downloaded the 90 day trial, so I don’t know if it had problems with previous versions. I certainly had one other program that didn’t work properly under previous versions of El Capitan.

Hello everyone, I have an unrelated question and I am posting here because this is the most active forum. What is your opinion regarding running rhino on a mac? I have 27" iMac, late 2013, 24 gb ram, 3.5 ghz, Nividea GTX 780m and consistently get that i have run out of application memory? Should i just get boot camp up and running and install the pc version on the partition or any suggestions? I just got the computer less than 6 months ago to ensure I can perform my job as a set designer and would like your help/opinion on what to do. Thanks

James
310-739-4549
www.onlygreendesign.com

On GM El capitan (and previus versions) I get constant slowdowns with simple geometry. Wheel keeps spinning and after a while I recover the control and it backs to normal. Happens after loading a file, even a small one, I zoom in then it spinns etc etc. It’s not biggie but it’s really annoying.

Nombre del modelo: MacBook Pro
Identificador del modelo: MacBookPro11,3
Nombre del procesador: Intel Core i7
Velocidad del procesador: 2,3 GHz
Cantidad de procesadores: 1
Cantidad total de núcleos: 4
Caché de nivel 2 (por núcleo): 256 KB
Caché de nivel 3: 6 MB
Memoria: 16 GB
Versión de la ROM de arranque: MBP112.0138.B15
Versión SMC (sistema): 2.19f12

So what is the situation,

I am running OSX 10.8.5, probably need to update soon.

Rhino beta works well.

What if I upgrade to SSD memory and need to install newest OSX ?

Do I need to install newest OSX ?

What happens to my rhino beta ?

I own a license for Rhino Windows but not interested to use bootcamp anymore.

Please give me some guidelines how to continue !

Best,

Jesse