Proper way to change rhino installation folder?

Hi, I have two computers, one using a folder with Rhino 5.0 and another with a folder with Rhino 5.

I’d like them to both be Rhino 5.0. What is the proper way to change this? I guessing more than simply renaming the folder…

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam, I think the simplest is probably to uninstall and install from the latest installer from here:

http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5/latest

-Pascal

OK. As far as making them both Rhino 5.0 rather than 5, do you see any issues with that? I guessing 5 is the most recent standard, but I’ve been working on plugins using 5.0.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam - I think I’d stick to the official naming, which, as far as I can see is

Rhinoceros 5 (64-bit) & Rhinoceros 5

I don’t know what all the ramifications may be for not doing that though…

-Pascal

K, working on it now, thanks,

Sam

I’ve got it installed in rhinoceros 5 (64-bit) now but my plugin is still trying to run the .exe from the 5.0 directory. How can I change this in visual studios?

Sorry this turned into a developer question…

Thanks,
Sam

The default installation folders were Rhinoceros 5.0 (64-bit) & Rhinoceros 5.0 in SR0 and SR1. They were changed to Rhinoceros 5 (64-bit) & Rhinoceros 5 since SR2. If the original version on a computer is SR0 or SR1, the later SR patches will not change the installation folders. If a user installs the full version of SR2 or later on a FRESH Windows, Rhino will be installed to the folders without “.0” in the names.

There is a bug in the Rhino 5 installer. If you installed Rhino 5 in a folder, you won’t be able to change the target folder in the future even if you customize the path in a newer full SR installer, unless you delete these registry keys after Rhino is uninstalled.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0x64\Install
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Install

I guess you’ll have to try to uninstall Rhino 5, delete the registry keys and install Rhino 5 with the latest full installer. If it still doesn’t work, @dale might know how to help you.

It seems to have installed to just 5, not 5.0. So exactly what I want.

Only trouble now is my old plugin project is still trying to launch from 5.0. How can I change it to launch from 5 instead? A bit of googling told me I could change the external program launch path from project properties/debug tab but I don’t see it there. Thoughts?

Perhaps this question could be moved over to the developer area…

Thanks,
Sam

Yes, moved to the Rhino Developer category.

The free version of Visual Studio don’t allow you to easily modify the debug target. If I recall correctly, you need to edit your .csproj file and modify the following line:

<StartProgram>C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 5.0 (64-bit)\System\Rhino.exe</StartProgram>

I don’t have the Express 2015 installed on any system, so I cannot verify this…

I changed the start program in the vproj file, but still same problem. Crazy they make this so difficult…

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam

Still having trouble with this one, any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Sam

OK, figured out a solution. I just installed a demo version of VS enterprise and then changed the launch program, then opened it back up in express and worked fine. Just mentioning it here in case anyone else has this issue.

Sam

Sorry I couldn’t help with this - just don’t have any more systems to install VS onto.

Is the Visual Studio Community Edition free? Why not just use this?

hmm… maybe community could have done it… curious how it is left out of express. Might try community at some point.

Thanks,
Sam