Plug-in for making exploded views

No, it’s not. It’s a couple of commits behind. I’ll grab the latest source and recompile on OS X and post that in the Rhino for Mac category (feels kinda weird to be discussing the same plugin with the same codebase in two different Discourse categories; good problem to have though).

UPDATE: I updated the plugin posted in the Rhino for Mac category post. (This is clearly not the right way to keep this updated, but we’ll probably open-source this anyway).

1 Like

Yes. See Plugins - crossplatform.

@dan, what about a Windows & Mac version on the Food4Rhino site? That way you would know by date when it was updated.

Shouldn’t this be in plugins category anyway, with a pinned top post that has updated versions, if not on Food4Rhino site.

This is not my call. Basically, I just built this on OS X to illustrate a point about cross-platformy-ness. In my opinion, this is an experimental plugin (there some discussion about named positions above, some possible bugs with selection sets, etc). From my perspective, this is not something ready for prime-time. In the end, whomever is going to post this somewhere - Food4Rhino or elsewhere - is going to be “on the hook” to maintain it as a proper plugin (fix bugs, add features, etc). In my opinion, I’d like to see ExplodedViews posted on a public GitHub repo with compiled releases on each platform posted in the “Releases” tab of the repo. It would be a great sample project, if nothing else…though I would hope it becomes “something useful.”

Your probably right, this seems like a good option. I was just thinking of somewhere Rhino users go. It defiantly will have it’s uses and is a great start for cross-platform plug-ins. It is something useful. I don’t need this all the time, but I have done it manually for Make2D, when I need something like this.

David,

Thanks so much for the Exploded Views tool. It made a great little Xmas gift to me. It took me a while to get the gist of it but not I'm catching on and putting it to use. Here is the first actual work application of it that I just finished. I had been using Named Positions but this is much more effective for me when presenting to a client. Even though the pivots get out of place in the middle, at least they end up in the correct spot and the smooth action describes the action of this folding stairs for a day charter catamaran for Waikiki beach. The client will appreciate your work as it shows him the articulation of the individual steps. Forgive my crude tool buttons.

2 Likes

Flagged as spam.

Will this be included in Rhino v6 under Named Positions tab?
Could be nice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

+1 Would be nice along with testmoocow command :slight_smile:

How did this get flagged as SPAM?

There was a reply that was spam (that’s why you don’t see it anymore), not the original post…

Was it something I said? I apologise if so. This is one of the best behaved forums out there and I try and play nice…

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t one of your posts… if it was, it was most likely a mistake. But I think the post that was removed was just after yours and before mine, which is why it looks that way. It was 5 months after yours too.

I don’t flag posts unless there is some commercial advertising that has little nothing to do with Rhino or has some dodgy links. Generally I also check before flagging and 99% of the time I see the user joined 5 minutes before the post, so it’s pretty obvious. Finally, flagging a post doesn’t delete it, someone from McNeel (not me) has to check it after it’s been flagged and decide what to do…

OK, I’ll relax then. Funny thing is that folding staircase that I used in my post THREE years earlier is what I was working on the morning once more! This project is taking years to get approved and built. 5 years I’ve been plugging away at it and still no telling when or if it will ever get finished. We will probably be on RhinoV9 by the time it is done…:grin:

Yes, don’t worry. This is what got removed:

Good to see that you guys are on top of things! Keep up the good work at making this a ‘safe place’.

@DavidRutten I know you’re busy with GH2, but there’s any updated with this plug-in?
Is it working for V7?

Thanks

3 Likes

Did anyone make a video tutorial…? I’m trying to use this in R7 and not really understanding the how to transform the objects…?

Hi @brianscottwheeler,

some quick tips, eg. with a box. Before starting, Explode the box into it’s 6 faces so they can be transformed individually.

Start the BeginExplosionRecord command, select the 6 faces you’re about to transform. The faces are shown in orange color. Now move each face, eg. using the GumBall. Then run the EndExplosionRecord command. All 6 faces are moved back to their original positons and displayed in regular color.

To see it explode with an animation use the Explosion command. To get back to the original positon use the Implosion command.

_
c.

Thank you for the explanation…