Online portfolio options

Hello,
I’m wanting to learn of the most efficient way to show work to potential clients. I thought maybe this gallery may server such a purpose, but then it requires a login. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

:grinning:

Behance is a free platform many use to show off their skills, and maybe create your own personal website, easily done these days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great question. If you are really serious, I would recommend the following:

• Buy a domain, like ‘KaytenDesign.com’ (which is available!) This is around $10 per year.
  • Now, your email address will be james@kaytendesign.com and not something silly like jk4656564@hotmail or AOL.
  • Get a webhost for your new site. These start at around $5 a month for the good ones.
  • Start with a few pages for the front page, a contact page, and a gallery.
  • Wordpress is free and an excellent way to go. Its a website / blogging platform with design templates and you build the site from your browser; no software to buy!
  • Now google is aware that you exist and you’ll be added to searches from anyone, anywhere on the planet.

If you go with other free options, be aware that sites / galleries may close down and disappear without notice. What I have suggested is a permanent and professional solution.

I’m creating a college class for this exact topic next semester. Fell free to email me if you have more questions. You’ll get free advice and I’ll test some stuff on you!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the info guys.

milezee - I was looking into a company called wix, but the signing up process failed and now the server tells me my passwro … Nevermind.

shultzworks - I’ll test anything you send me!:grinning:

I’ve website already, but I built it some time back and I don’t want to spend a lot of time relearning the application used to make it. The site name is a bit restrictive as well “fotojames.com

I’ll have to look into wordpress as well as Behance.

Happy Friday.

yes Behance is a well established free platform to show off creative works in a many different fields, Adobe now own it I believe, along with this you really do need your own website as Dave Schultz suggested, more professional looking and will add more credibility to you as a professional, Wordpress is ok, if you know a little coding this could be a good option, my suggestion would be to look at Squarespace, great templates, very professional looking and so simple to get to grips with, and most definitely do not have a random email address ending in ‘hotmail’ or ‘yahoo’ etc :slight_smile:

Thanks milezee, I looked into Behance - it’s been folded into adobe creative suite and now requires a subscription. Everybody is on the make for some kind of rent income these days.

I got onto the WIX system and some of it looks nice - probably the ‘free’ stuff is just a patch towards monthly payments as well to make them workwhile.

I need to think up a groovy domain name …

yeh I’ve been on Behance for a few years, it was all free then, I don’t use it all these days, although I was sure you can still create a page for free, maybe thats changed now, the WIX sites look good too, but for me, if you’re a photographer, designer, artist etc Squarespace offer some great options, and so simple to set up and use, by the way, I have no affiliation to Squarespace in any way, lol :smile:

Have a look at: http://knowem.com

You can search for whatever you decide to use as your domain but you can also see if it’s already been used as a user name on other websites or design sites to be specific… You don’t have to pay for their service but you can use the search result to set up a suite of typical webistes based on your user name/domain name and that way you can keep track of you IP (Intellectual Property) and ensure there is no crossover.

Andy