Noob asking a question

Hello

okay so i don’t even know the lingo for this question

My friend wants me to make him a a bunker for a table top wargame like one he has seen i have made the basic shape but need to add like a like a second “skin” around it

I have uploaded the pic of what it is supposetau bunker.3dm (1.6 MB) to look like as well as my .3dm file please any help would be most appreciated

If you just started with Rhino, you have some nice work and made a good start.

By second skin, I assume you are referring to a ‘shelling’ or wall thickness. This is required to make any prototype. The process can involve quite a few steps, all depending on your geometry. I would start with Surface → Offset Surface and use the ‘solid’ option when possible. You’ll then need to trim & join or Boolean these pieces together to make a single piece.

IF your part is small, you may be able to skip the shelling and make the geometry into one single solid / no wall thicknesses. I measured and your file is 44 mm overall, so that’s how I would handle it.

I opened your file and see some problems.

► You have accidentally copied many curves on top of themselves. When you select one, you’ll see there are about 8 other curve ‘options’ that light up, indicating you made duplicates by accident. Use Edit → Select Object → Duplicate Objects and then hit delete. all extra copies will be gone, leaving just one.

► Your dome was made by an arc that was revolved 360° creating two surfaces on top of each other. Only draw the arc to the center axis, then revolve that ½ arc around 360°, giving you a single surface.

I did a whole Lynda.com course on Rhino 5 and it includes an entire chapter (15) on prototyping. You might also want to look at some of the other chapters to brush up on other skills. The subscription to Lynda.com is $25 per month, but here’s a link for 7-days free. Sweet!

One of the prototyping videos is available for free viewing, so you an watch it without joining or doing the 7-day trial.

Hi Byron,

If you are new to Rhino, you might want to start here:

http://www.rhino3d.com/learn

– Dale

Hey guys thanks so much for the help i manage to do the top of the bunker

I made it from one piece and then used project tool it worked like a charm

now i just need a little advice for the bottom bit what tool could i use to make that ? i was thinking of giving flow curve tool a bash and seen how that works

Create a sphere, draw 2 lines and use trim to trim the top and bottom part off.
I would create 1 pillar with a circle and trim it untill you have a quarter left. Draw 2 more lines to close it and extrude it. Place it on the right possition and use ArrayPolar

1 Like

That sphere section might be better if you created it with a revolve. You could then add in a wall thickness or other details.