New beta plug-in for fabrication friendly font geometry

That did the trick, David!
Thanks a lot for this!

2 Likes

Still won’t install here.

FWIW, trying to install this on a 3rd PC also gives me this message
http://discourse.mcneel.com/uploads/default/17876/b20a866f9ceeaf20.PNG

I don’t have administration rights on this one and I though that might be the cause…

Is there any way to call this commands inside of Grasshopper. I am working on a sequential numbering project and the font is very specific so I am creating my own font with this wonderful new plugin. THANK YOU SO MUCH David! But i need to be able to access it in grasshopper for the sequential part. I am importing numbers from excel. This may be something very simple but im not too advanced in grasshopper.

Sorry not yet. Though the dll which contains the actual useful code is invokeable from a C# or VB component, but that would be quite a lot of work.

This is step 2 in the plan though, I hope to have this operational in two weeks or so.

Hi David, great work.
Is this or any other plug ing that you’re developing are going to work with Mac now that’s going commercial?

Grasshopper 2 should run on both windows and mac. This plugin may too if it’s useful enough.

2 Likes

@will , can you please look into this?

Installed fine here, could be a tricky one to reproduce. @brian do you still have the install log from @gregb?

Ack, sorry, I don’t.

I’ll try installing it again next week - can you just remind me of the location of the directory the error logs output to?

%appdata%\mcneel\rhinoceros\5.0\logs

I have same problem!

Sorry for bumbing this, but is it possible to get hold of the AtoB font as normal .ttf or OpenFont?

No. It’s specifically an entirely different approach to typesetting than TrueType or OpenType fonts. It’s more akin to Knuth’s MetaFont project, in that specific instances of FabFonts could theoretically be converted into regular fonts, but that functionality is not available and hasn’t been shortlisted either.

hey all! this can;t be yet used with grasshopper, right? thankies!

No, it’s just a stand-alone alpha release, it’s not ready for any serious work. Unfortunately I ran out of time and have to focus on other projects for the near future.

1 Like

Hey @DavidRutten,

Any news from this project?

I would like to ask, in case that the project don’t continue and you guys don’t see any strategic value in keeping it closed, if is there any chance that you could give access to the community to the code, so it could continue as a community developed project?

As my dad always said, you don’t lose anything for asking.

Cheers.
Thanks in advance.

No too busy with other stuff. I definitely want to get back to it, but at the moment the completion of Rhino 6.0 takes all precedence.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.

I can imagine, just wanted to know the status of it :wink:

Cheers.