Need help with Reference images

Hello!

I am working on using reference images to build a 3d mode lof a car. I am having trouble inserting the back view onto the back of the front view. currently i have four windows…front,side,top, and perspective. I want to have a fifth “back” view window and have all of them appear properly in the perspective view. thank you for your help.

If I understand what you’re trying to do…You have drag/dropped car images into each of the viewports to make picture frames?

If you have done this, you should have a surface (“PictureFrame”) with a side view of the car on your world XZ plane. If you dragged and dropped, the texture should be applied to the “Back” View of the surface as well. i.e. if your camera is looking at the XZ plane from the positive Y direction, it’s like you’re looking at the “back” of the image.

If you have gotten the images into Rhino in a different way, you may not be able to see the image from the back. In this case, you can erase and use the preceding procedure, or simply mirror the front view surface about the XZ plane.

If I misunderstood and you’re just trying to get a “back” viewport, you can just right click on one of your viewport names, select new viewport, and then drop down the name, go to set view and select Back.

Thanks for your quick reply!

i chose each of the viewports and placed a background bit map. i aligned the top,side,and front view so they are all centered. Now i opened another view port “back” and see the front of the car which is the bitmap i inserted for the “front view”. when i try to insert the bitmap of the back bumper in the “back” viewport…nothing shows up.

im following a tutorial which left minor things out here and there. but it had me insert the images using coordinates. im assuming this differs from the method you mentioned?

okay ive managed to insert it…but i cant get the front view port and back view port to have two different images.

EDIT: I was assuming cradz109 used PictureFrame for his reference images.

Are the images on the same plane? If so try moving the back one behind the front one.

Another alternative would be to put the images on different layers and turn the layers on/off as needed so that the desired image is visible.

I see. I’ve never used background bitmaps for anything but that should work in theory. It seems that inserting a background bitmap is specific to that particular viewport. In other words, if I insert in the front viewport and then open another viewport and make the view front, the bitmap will not show in the one i just created; I’d have to add it again. From a quick test though I have no trouble adding different images to each viewport.

Now, the “PictureFrame” route is different altogether, but in my mind offers a couple advantages. First, you have a physical rhino object you can operate on if you need to make changes, i.e. you decide to make the model bigger. In this case you can apply the appropriate transformations to all viewport views at once. Or you can hide the picture frames when you’re done using without the hassle of removing all your background bitmaps. To get this set up is similar, just enter each of your viewports in sequence, drag your image onto the canvas and size the image how you want. Now you have a 3D “box” of image planes if you want to model in perspective view, or something.

Either method will work just fine, but using objects instead of tweaks on your environment is, IMO, a more modular, quicker way to do things.

awesome you guys rock! Turns out when I inserted the back image to match the front, the back image got lost within the front image. when I clicked the image I had the option to chose two different bitmaps and chose the second one which made it appear. I then moved it .01 so the two images were back to back. I am now able to see the front image in the front view window and the back image in the back view window.

thank you for your help!!