"Model space scale" setting inconsistencies

I have been experimenting with the Settings panel, and in particular with the “Dimensions” settings. I noted some inconsistencies, and I question the purpose of some input fields.

1. Tab “Text”: There is a field “Model space scale” at the bottom. When I change the scale, I can retrospectively alter all Text blocks in my model. Which is good, I can now print my model at various scales and vary the text size appearance to match. The scale factor is independent of the dimension style. Note that this field appears to affect Text blocks only, not the text belonging to a dimension or a leader. There is also a tickbox “Enable annotation scaling”, but I have not been able to find a purpose for that. All Text blocks get updated to the new scale by clicking in the model area of your screen.
    (Edit: the font selection field has no impact on Text blocks! Not at creation or retrospectively. All text blocks seem to have Arial as default, but can be altered at creation or in the properties window. Maybe this could be reflected by changing the caption “Font” to “Dimension font”)

1. Tab “Sizes”: The first observation is that the aforementioned “Model space scale” input field remains visible, but has no relevance to the other input fields, which are settings for the text belonging to dimensions and leaders. In fact, this field at the bottom of the panel remains visible for all dimension setting tabs, but it still only has an effect on Text blocks. However, changing the scale value here only takes effect on placing the next Text block! Then suddenly ALL text blocks update to the new scale!
    To confuse matters, there is also a “Model space scale” input field a bit higher up ( plus a select button, linked to the input field). The scale factor entered here affects only text belonging to dimensions and leaders, not the text blocks. Changing the scale in this field updates all dimensions and leaders instantly. However, the same is achieved by updating the “Text height” input field! Both fields are style specific so I cannot see any advantages of having both fields.

Concluding, my suggestion for change is to make the “Model space scale” common for all text blocks, dimension text and leader text, independent of style. The nice selection button for commonly used scaling factors button could be added here. The separate scale field as in 2. above can be removed, a style specific height field is sufficient. (Text blocks have individual properties for font and height). Updating of all text should be instantaneous if possible, or at least at the first click.

The question of the purpose of “Enable annotation scaling” remains.

Max.

1 Like

Hi Maxz,

There is a field “Model space scale” at the bottom. When I change the scale, I can retrospectively alter all Text blocks in my model. Which is good, I can now print my model at various scales and vary the text size appearance to match. The scale factor is independent of the dimension style. Note that this field appears to affect Text blocks only, not the text belonging to a dimension or a leader.

Yes, you are correct and that for letting us know that it works well for you. However I believe that it needs a better location on the Setting dialog. See the attached image.

“There is also a tickbox “Enable annotation scaling”, but I have not been able to find a purpose for that. All Text blocks get updated to the new scale by clicking in the model area of your screen.”

Yes - this needs to go away. The layout feature will not be implemented in the first version on MacRhino. So it is not hook up to anything and will be removed.

(Edit: the font selection field has no impact on Text blocks! Not at creation or retrospectively. All text blocks seem to have Arial as default, but can be altered at creation or in the properties window. Maybe this could be reflected by changing the caption “Font” to “Dimension font”)

It is not designed to. Dimension Style control the text setting of the dim text…

To confuse matters, there is also a “Model space scale” input field a bit higher up ( plus a select button, linked to the input field). The scale factor entered here affects only text belonging to dimensions and leaders, not the text blocks. Changing the scale in this field updates all dimensions and leaders instantly.

That is true. The Scale of the Dimensions, Text & Hatch are independent. You will change the Dimension in the Style, the Text scale factor on the new Text page, and the Hatch on its page. This maintains compatibility with Windows Rhino. Except for not layout and no annotation scale.

Concluding, my suggestion for change is to make the “Model space scale” common for all text blocks, dimension text and leader text, independent of style. The nice selection button for commonly used scaling factors button could be added here. The separate scale field as in 2. above can be removed, a style specific height field is sufficient. (Text blocks have individual properties for font and height). Updating of all text should be instantaneous if possible, or at least at the first click.

The Scale of the Dimensions, Text & Hatch are independent. You will change the Dimension in the Style, the Text scale factor on the new Text page (hopefully), and the Hatch on its page. This maintains compatibility with Windows Rhino. Except for not layout and no annotation scale. There is a bug here the screen is not updated after changing the text scale. That will be tuned up and the refresh will work better.

Keeping them separate maintains good import and export compatibility between Windows Rhino and MacRhino! The Windows Rhino Layout will be ignored in MacRhino. But then the 3DM is opened in Windows Rhino, it will be displayed.

Thanks for testing Mac Rhino.
Sincerely,
Mary Fugier
McNeel Technical Support

Hi Mary,
Thank you for addressing my comments extensively. I am keen to see (and test :wink: ) the new settings panel. I only have one comment now on your proposed improvements. Text and Hatch have individual sizes per object, so it makes sense to have model space scaling factors. Dimension sizes are set commonly, governed by style only. I admit that I overlooked the effect of model space scale on the Extension line extension, but I cannot see the benefit of a model space scale factor here, while it is almost as easy to change the two input fields. What could be done to improve its usefulness is to make the model space scale factor independent of style, i.e. the scale factor increases/decreases ALL dimensions, irrespective of style.

Btw, I did not investigate the Hatch setting tab the first time, but now I did and the Model space factor you can input there seems to have no effect on hatching size at all!

Regards,
Max.

And oh yes, some personal preferences / improvement suggestions:

Leaders, can those please be classified as and treated the same way as Text blocks, not as a Dimension. After all, that’s what it is, a text block with a pointer.
And can the text be justified to the end of the pointer like the example at the bottom, right now I have to “construct” right-pointing leaders from an empty leader and a text block.

Regards,
Max.

Hello,
I’ve been testing annotation tools in mac rhino and got quite confused. After a search, I found this topic. I really agree with Max and Mary’s solution to make annotation scaling in mac rhino more intuitive. Can we expect any improvement in this area before mac rhino final release. Thanks in advanced.