Memory leak in rhinoscriptsyntax CopyObject -> DeleteObject functions

Had a memry leak in a large prorgam, which made the program eather break or slow dawn alot:

The main problem was fund in the CopyObject -> DeleteObject functions:

The small test example below increased the memory uses by 474000 kb which it not freed laiter.

s = rs.AddSphere([0,0,0], 25)

for i in range(1000):
    tmp = rs.CopyObject(s)
    rs.DeleteObject(tmp)

Have tried gc.collect() to force the collecting, with no result.

Every document database transaction causes an Undo record to be created. It is the Undo stack that you perceive as memory leaking. Try running the ClearUndo command - you should see some of the memory recovered.

1 Like

Do you really need to copy the object (add it to the document) and then delete it later? First, writing to the document is very slow, and as you saw, all those document changes get recorded in memory.

If possible, it would be better to use “virtual geometry” - by actually diving down into RhinoCommon and doing your operations on curve/brep objects stored in memory but not added to the document - if you are going to delete them afterwards. Only add the final objects you want to the document when the script finishes.

However, working in RhinoCommon will add a layer of complexity to the script.

–Mitch

1 Like

That is a good idea, going a little more into RhinoCommon is probably a good idea.

Thank that makes a lot of sense, any way of turning Undo record off?

Hi Dale,

I ran some tests as I was about to suggest ClearUndo as well, however ClearUndo did not seems to clear/free any memory:

I ran the script snippet below causing the memory to rise from 3.7 GB to 7.8 GB:

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

s = rs.AddSphere([0,0,0], 25)

for i in range(1000000):
    tmp = rs.CopyObject(s)
    rs.DeleteObject(tmp)

However no matter how often I ran ClearUndo afterwards, the memory was not freed up. Even doing some adding removing of objects undo-ing redo-ing and more clearundo’s did not free the memory.
Only closing the instance freed the memory:

-Willem

I’ve reported similar things a long time ago with various similar operations, for example moving objects in a file for an animation. I don’t know if it was ever resolved, but at the time Rhino would eat memory until it was all gone. Even after the script finished, ClearUndo did not free it up, only closing the instance did… Haven’t tested in a long while, though.

–Mitch

Rhino maintains the memory pool. Thus, you won’t see it recovered by Windows until Rhino closes.

– Dale

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply, I’m not sure how to interpret this:
Does that mean whenever Rhino or another application demands more memory than available, Rhino will free up unused memory form, it’s ‘pool’? Or could in fact Rhino ‘hijack’ this memory until closed?

Thanks
-Willem

Dale’s explanation so far makes it sound likes Rhino uses the “Roach Motel” memory management method.

TIL about "Roach Motel"
Reminds me of this:

This is what I had in mind:

Note their famous tagline:
“Roaches check in, but they don’t check out!”

1 Like