Locking / freezing rotation-zoom

Using Wacom tablet and magic trackpad. With the latest 3 versions of Rhino am having very often blocks when using the rotation and zooming, locking the door only to be able to use the zoom. The Wacom pen is set with buttons “middle button” and “right” in order to be able to use the middle button for navigation and the right button to zoom more cmd and right key for rotation. To exit the block you need to press esc. At that point I can use the rotation again.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2014-03-17 (506)
OS X version: Versione 10.9.2 (Build 13C64)

Plug-ins
/Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax/Contents/MacOS/SIMBL
/Users/xxxxxxxxx/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/Afloat.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Afloat

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac13,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440
Displays: iMac

USB devices
Western Digital: My Passport 0748
Wacom Co.,Ltd.: CTH-460
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Wireless Trackpad
Apple: Apple Wireless Keyboard

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.24.9 310.40.25f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: Nessuno
Mip map filtering: Nessuno
Anisotropic filtering: Nessuno

A number of users have had problems in Rhino when a Wacom tablet was connected to their computer, and these problems went away when they disconnected their tablet and removed the Wacom drivers. You should test this possibility by removing the Wacom drivers and disconnecting the device. Just disconnecting a Wacom tablet is not sufficient. The drivers would still interfere with Rhino even when no Wacom device was plugged in.

Please note that you did not say what input device you are using to rotate the display. You have both a trackpad and the Wacom tablet, so I cannot tell.

Yes, I am aware of this. I already tried with the drivers and the problem remained. But the problem also using a mouse or a magic mouse (with a Wacom tablet and software uninstalled). I use the Wacom pen with Rhino, the magic trackpad I use it exclusively to scroll through the menu levels.

I remember a case where someone still had a second Wacom driver running even though they thought they had removed all the Wacom software. Once they removed the second driver, their problem disappeared. They did not have any way of knowing if there was an extra driver – they only guessed and found it on their computer.

Drivers are called kernel extensions on OS X. The next WIP release will have some additional information in the OpenGL settings to see these extensions. The extra information will be in the report that you get with the Copy to clipboard button.

Here’s a part of that revised report from my computer:

Third party kernel extensions
        com.3dconnexion.driver (10.1.0)
        foo.tun (1.0)
        foo.tap (1.0)
        com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.7.0)
        com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver (1.3.0)

USB devices
        Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
        Logitech: USB Receiver
        Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
        Apple Inc.: Display Audio
        Apple Inc.: Apple LED Cinema Display
        Apple Inc.: Display iSight
        Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
        Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
        3Dconnexion: SpaceNavigator

Bluetooth devices
        None

The new part is Third party kernel extensions. When the next WIP release comes out, see if there is anything you do not expect in that section.

BTW, foo.tun and foo.tap are OpenVPN kernel extensions. I wish they used better names, but at least I know what they are.

Thanks for the reply. Can I remove (and how) the driver or should I wait for the next version?

Let’s wait for the next version and see what you actually have for kernel extensions. Also, we will need the kernel extension names to find out where they are.

Excellent. Thank you.