Local coordinate systems, Pivots, Gumballs, Nulls,

I’m not exactly sure what you mean in the gumball stuff up there. But, in case you did not know, you can update the gumball to a specific view you are in. In this thread, it tells you how. I would like to setup macros to rotate say 15 degrees at a time, but also go back to the default cplane. I think I just need to learn more about named cplanes and creating saved cplanes and it’ll work just dandy. As of now, you can go back to your cpane with the undo cplane button after you reset your gumball how you like it.Gumball-Align to view

Also, it may not be exactly the information you are looking for. But there are two coordinate systems in rhino. Construction plane coordinates, and world coordinates. If you use the cplane as a theoretical pivot to the world plane, that is what it can be used for. So, they start off the same, but you can change your construction plane at any time in whatever pivot from the world plane you want. Then entering coordinates on that c-plane would be pivoted somewhat from the world plane. diagram of coordinates (except for uv-coordinates)

On a faceting lap, the pivots you are describing would be called “a cheater” All of the axes on the faceting unit are at certain degrees of rotation. A cheater allows all of those settings to stay the same, but rotates the entire mast assembly slightly on 1 plane to account for fixing a mistake and other uses. This keeps all the other angles locked.

You can also create multiple cplanes, or multiple pivots. You can save your cplanes. You basically you could pivot from world, pivot from that cplane, pivot again from that cplane, and so on to infinity?

Combined with relative coordinates, you should be able to make just as much or more happen with rhino.

Maybe this helps? I also gotta the thread a little more. I just wanted to get the links before I forgot about em.

Reading more into your gumball, named cplanes and resetting gumball macros are likely what you need(until a solution to your LCS type gumball is resolved). Also, I’m sure there are few features that are just as inconvenient going to another 3d software. For what I do though, I’m gonna stick to rhino as base for everything probably a very long time. There is software that is more user friendly for jewelry, but in a sense, you really do want to be able to design anything in 3d vs. only rings, bracelets, earrings, etc…If you intend to go off to 3d Matrix software right away with no base knowledge, its gonna suck when you want to design a machine to build what you design in it. With all around base 3d software, you can.