Linking and updating files after a transformation

I would like to make a pattern of, lets say, squares. I want to link all these individual squares to an individual file. Which can be done as a block offcourse. I then want to have the possibility to, for example, scale the pattern ( and the squares) and at the same time i want the external files (blocks or whatever i should use) to change(scale) also. So automatically the external files are scaled with the original.
Is this possible with rhino?

Linking is an inbound process, not outbound.
If you open and edit a file that is linked into a second as a linked block instance, the instance will update. I think you’re asking about editing the instance and having those changes pushed back out to the original file.
That’s not possible.

If I’ve completely misunderstood your question, let’s try again and please explain what problem you’re trying to solve instead of describing a process you think might solve the unstated issue.

Thanks

Thanks John. That is exactly what i mean. Too bad it cannot be done in rhino.

It’s a development rule here that we never change data in an external file that is not open. There are just way too many things that can go wrong.

hi John

i absolutely have no idea what you are talking about. Enlighten me please.

vriendelijke groet, René van Corven

atelier van corven logo paars

Atelier van Corven

Celebesstraat 1

6707 ED Wageningen

Tel: 06 26 552555

www.ateliervancorven.nl

Van: John_Brock [mailto:steve@mcneel.com] Verzonden: vrijdag 19 september 2014 17:56 Aan: info@ateliervancorven.nl Onderwerp: [McNeel Forum] Linking and updating files after a transformation

Afbeelding verwijderd door afzender.

John_Brock September 19

It's a development rule here that we never change data in an external file that is not open. There are just way too many things that can go wrong.

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/linking-and-updating-files-after-a-transformation/11788/4 in your browser.

Previous Replies

Afbeelding verwijderd door afzender.

rene1 September 19

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/linking-and-updating-files-after-a-transformation/11788/4 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

Hi Rene,

What I think John means, is that there is a rule set for developing Rhino that explicity states that no files are changed when they are not ‘opened’.

If you allow Rhino to change files that are not open. There are many things that can ho wrong. For example 2 instances of Rhino could try to change the file simultaneously.
The way this is solved for blockedit of linked files, is that the block file is opened in a new instance of Rhino to be edited in.

I think what you need can be scripted but it is not straightforward.

Does this help clear things up?

-Willem

Hi Willem

thank you. That clarifies the matter. Could you script what we want and what would that cost?

atelier van corven logo paars

Atelier van Corven

Celebesstraat 1

6707 ED Wageningen

www.ateliervancorven.nl

Van: Willem [mailto:steve@mcneel.com] Verzonden: maandag 22 september 2014 8:46 Aan: info@ateliervancorven.nl Onderwerp: [McNeel Forum] Linking and updating files after a transformation

Willem September 22

Hi Rene,

What I think John means, is that there is a rule set for developing Rhino that explicity states that no files are changed when they are not 'opened'.

If you allow Rhino to change files that are not open. There are many things that can ho wrong. For example 2 instances of Rhino could try to change the file simultaneously. The way this is solved for blockedit of linked files, is that the block file is opened in a new instance of Rhino to be edited in.

I think what you need can be scripted but it is not straightforward.

Does this help clear things up?

-Willem

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/linking-and-updating-files-after-a-transformation/11788/6 in your browser.

Previous Replies

rene1 September 19

hi John

i absolutely have no idea what you are talking about. Enlighten me please.

Atelier van Corven

Celebesstraat 1

6707 ED Wageningen

www.ateliervancorven.nl

Van: John_Brock [mailto:steve@mcneel.com] Verzonden: vrijdag 19 september 2014 17:56 Aan:info@ateliervancorven.nlOnderwerp: [McNeel Forum] Linking and updating files after a transformation

John_Brock September 19

It's a development rule here that we never change data in an external file that is not open. There are just way too many things that can go wrong.

Previous Replies

rene1 September 19

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/linking-and-updating-files-after-a-transformation/11788/6 in your browser.

I think there should be a structure like:

Basis is a plugin that controls:

• Object created (Save Object As / Give object name of the Save file)
  • If an object is edited with whatever transformation (check which object is edited / save object again)
  • It should be possible to toggle this plugin on / off because else it will always happen

It is possible that this slows down Rhino very much! Because of the saving. When saving the object the previous object will be lost.

Maybe its better to create objects transform them and then have a button that “Exports” the objects. So first get your objects. Than Return them again. For faster work flow and not overwriting objects when not needed.

Perhaps a cleaner solution is to open a second session of Rhino so you CAN make changes to the external file that is linked back into the first file. Then they are both open and you have exclusive control over both files.

Hi Jordy and @John_Brock.

I called Rene earlier today and we found that it’s not nessecary to have file linkage back and forth. Their needs allow for a workflow were one does the transform and then export named parts as separate files for machining.

Cheers
-Willem