Is this kind of planar mapping possible?

@DavidEranen Custom object mapping isn’t working in V6?
After I select a surface it shows “(none)” as Custom object:

@DavidEranen So, the best I could come up with, rendering a tube-like object, rendered in v6 and using spherical mapping as suggested by Willem:

Some alignment problems but might be close enough for some work.

The rendered view has some additional problems:

I must use v5 though to do the final renders using V-Ray and there are some additional problems:

Same problems getting the scale/rotation/alignment right, but with some waviness/distortion/strange patch at the lower-left. V-Ray render, Neon or Rendered Viewport all looks the same.
This time looks more like a bug than a limitation…

Hi Marc,

Could you send me the 3dm? I’ll do some investigating.

-David

Can we have the camera projection mapping added as well?

It is on the list: http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-33730

We posted together I guess, hadn’t seen you earlier comment. Thanks!

Hi David,

Here is the file:
Mapping question_2016-04-28-rv6.zip (4.4 MB)

Thanks!

Marc,

Camera projection mapping would do exactly what you want - and I made a YT item for it already. In regards to the RhinoCycles issue you’d have to ask @nathanletwory.

That’s all I can say for now.

-David

1 Like

Great, thanks!

@Marc, there is a RhinoCycles issue somewhere?

@nathanletwory, the second image in this post, Is this kind of planar mapping possible?, shows RhinoCycles having problems with the spherical mapping on a tube while the V6 Rhino Render is better (first image of this post).

Right, I didn’t look too closely at the renderings, my bad :slight_smile:

I see that Rendered view and Raytraced view show both same erroneous. We’ll have to look at how the UV coordinates look between these views and what Rhino Render does.

/Nathan

1 Like

FYI, the render engine I use is V-Ray and it’s output matches what I see with Rhino Render.

@DavidEranen, I think we’ll have to look at this together when we’re at the office, since Rendered viewport mode also has the same warping as Raytraced mode.

/Nathan

Hi Marc, @nathanletwory and @DavidEranen

My guess is that this is caused by the spherical mapping on geometry close to the sphere centre.

This cylinder even crosses the centre point of the sphere, probably causing the texture patch in the lower left corner.

-Willem

Hi Willem,
I agree, but there’s still a bug somewhere as we see different results from different render engines.
There’s also some distortion present that could point to some not so perfect math.
If the real solution is camera projection mapping, I’ll wait for this to be implemented… And I’ll have to go outside to have it rendered in Max.

Indeed the UV mapping should yield similar results in all render engines, but I don’t know enough about how the mapping creation in Rhino is done, @DavidEranen knows better than I do.

For Raytraced mode (Cycles) I rely on the UV coordinates to be set properly in cases like this.

/Nathan

I’m not sure I complete understand the goal of the request, but as sidenote - Vray should support camera mapping. I’m using Vray beta versions here, but the last official version should have it too. It can bet set in the material mapping types - set UVW type environment and mapping type screen.

Hi Micha,
It would work if it was not of the type “screen” but “Camera” and that we could select which camera (not necessarily the active one).
I need to get these two renders:

Note that it is now on todo-list of @DavidEranen to add such a mapping type at some point.

/Nathan

1 Like