Iris: WebGL Export Plugin for Rhino

It might be an issue of organization. With 500 components, maybe it might not be practical to use Iris directly, but perhaps you can use the exporter to save the data as json. You can make a native from HTML5/JS to iOS or Android app with Apache Cordova. I’ve turned some Iris models into Android apps using Cordova and it works pretty well.

That’s funny, I got onto some article on Cordova a few weeks ago, didn’t read it all, just put into my “Look at That Later” memoryBox. Good to hear there is a possibility to do this.

Off into 2D SVG Animation Land for the time being. Funny #2, all our glass cabochons are made in Barcelona.

Thanks for your advice! I am really looking forward to using WebGL, soon!

Hi! I got a model that doesn’t work and I can’t figure it out…

3dtest.3dm (121.2 KB)

Another question: Would it be possible to add some measuring functionality?

What isn’t working? I just dl your file, opened in Rhino 5 sr12, selected the geometry, and exported.

Are you getting some error? Which browser?

Hi! I use chrome and also RH5 SR12.
I did it again and it works now… strange.

Then I did another test with a bigger model and I get this error (same error I got before):
(is it possible to send you the bigger model peronaly?)

And with Internet Explorer:

please send me the model at luis@mcneel.com. If it is too big for email, please post it in your dropbox or google drive and send me the link via email.

Best,
Luis

Hello All,
I released Iris 0.4.0 over the weekend. The release was somewhat hasty due to the fact that I was traveling the week prior and that Iris 0.3.6 had expired.
This version has a completely new WebApp based on Bootstrap. I believe this move will allow great flexibility for future functionality in the webapp. One can now add views in the webapp and tween between them. Saving this info will come with a later release. This also means, one less option in the exporter. I removed the option of UI vs No UI.
Another note, I removed the default directional light which was added in Rhino, if no directional light existed. If you want shadows in your model, add a directional light in the Rhino model.
Please take a look at the release notes, and let me know of any issues you encounter.

edit: I realized the Rhino 5 version had an incomplete css for the WebApp. I just uploaded a version that should have everything.

I Luis,

The new WIP version gave this error

Same thing in V5

Thanks for reporting. Checking it out…

Hi! Looks like a new version:

It’s fast and I really like the new UI!

One thing that still looks like a bug is the view distortion:

Another example:

Any thoughts?

What are the units on the rhino model? Is the model near the origin (0,0,0) of the rhino model?

Yes, its on 0,0,0 and with this unit settings:

@fraguada,

First of all, thank you so much for providing the community with this plugin. It is such a wonderful tool.

I’m using Iris to export 3DM files out of Matrix (built by GemVision on top of Rhino). I’m using VRay rendering within Matrix to apply styles, textures, and lighting. I’m able to export models using Iris and display them in a web browser just fine, but the models viewed in Iris “don’t look very good” for a variety of reasons (bad lighting, maps from Matrix are not PNG/JPG so aren’t exported, etc.).

Before I ask a lot of questions about how to make the models look better, I’d like to learn more about applying materials, lighting, environment maps, and textures to my models. Would you suggest any resources for me (and others) to learn more about VRay prior to exporting using Iris? Know of any good blogs, resources, or tutorials for learning about these topics?

I really appreciate your time. Thank you!
Matthew

I just downloaded the last version available (May 18) at Food For Rhino and when loaded I get a message that it is out of date.

I am sorry that I have not read the whole thread. I did search without luck so I need to ask:

How do I deploy this to a web-hosting service with ftp to get it showing in a chrome browser?

I did transfer the files by ftp to a folder with the webhoster and copied the index file url. It is stuck loading.

Could someone take me through it?

Hello Roy,
I think I’ll close the thread as it is now too long to be of any use to anyone!

For loading to a browser, you need to upload the index.html, app, and data folders. You should be able to visit that new part of your site and see the model.

Are you able to view the model locally?
If it is stuck loading, remember, now your model is being transferred online, thus the loading might take longer.
Another thing to test, in Chrome, press ctr+shift+i to bring up the developer tools on the page you are testing. Refresh the page. Do you get any errors?

Feel free to send me the url or the files you are trying to upload. luis@mcneel.com

@mpfluger Materials should be standard Rhino Materials to ensure things look as close to the Rhino Model as possible. If possible, send me a model to test, or screenshots of what you are seeing to luis@mcneel.com

Best,
Luis

Which Rhino version are you using?

All, I’m closing this long running thread as it has become too long to be useful. From now on, please open up a thread in Plug Ins > Iris with your suggestions, cool models, or issues.

Thanks for all of the feedback thus far!