Import DWG From Illustrator - Double Lines?

I’m trying to import some handwriting into Rhino. I use Illustrator to trace the scanned image and export it as a DWG file:

Untitled-2.dwg (111.1 KB)

When I import it into Rhino, I get a duplicate of each curve plus a hatch. The hatch is easy enough to get rid of, but it is a pain to get rid of the duplicated curves. Could someone explain how I can get around this?

Hi Eric,

Funny enough you could/should to keep the hatches, and dump the curves
Explode the hatches they will become surfaces.
Run DupBorder on the surfaces and you have the single lines.

HTH
-Willem

1 Like

Thanks @Willem, you’re the best. You don’t have a quick trick to simplify the lines do you?

I run RebuildCrvNonUniform on each of them 1 at a time. I wish the command would batch update them all and had an option for changing the degree.

How would you want to simplify them?
Do they need to be less crackled?

I have a script to Rebuild curves to tolerance with an attempt to reduce control-points as much as possible. It’s brute force and will take a while.
RebuildCrvToTolerance.rvb (4.7 KB)

used the script to run at tolerance 0.15:
Rebuild.3dm (161.6 KB)

-Willem

That looks pretty darn good. Thank you.

I’m having a hard time defining exactly what I want, but my problem lies with editing heavy deg 3 curves.

I need the crackles at the end of a penstroke, but not mid stroke. I need to keep the non-smooth mid stroke segments that makes handwriting handwriting, but get rid of the noise kinks that occur.

I guess my ideal function would be to do a uniform rebuild that keeps a high tolerance, and then go back and replace control points with an average. For areas of low curvature, use the average of 3 control points to replace them, in medium curvature areas replace 2 control points, and leave the control points in high curvature areas alone. That way the majority of the curves are fine and it would be easy to fix the random noise spots by hand.

It’s a difficult task to make an algorithm for.
If this is the only set you have to process I’d go for the semi-automated route and do all manually.
(as this is probably for a piece of jewelry I think a final manual check and tweaking is always needed )
The script I posted was to process many, many, many curves coming from illustrator so I had to find some sort of automation:

http://www.studiowesselsboer.nl/work/schubbenschimmen

-Willem

That’s a fantastic design, @Willem.

It’s a product line I offer so I’m looking for a solution. I have some base shapes (rings, pendants, etc.) you can customize. Originally I thought they’d all be handwritten, but most customers opt for a font.

Also, I take them into 3DCoat to soften and boolean the designs. The hard edges of extruded curves do not cast well and 3DCoat is super simple to smooth, boolean, and produce a clean mesh for printing.

Today I’m adding a new shape (mobius strip) and making one for my daughter as a pre-k graduation present. I played Willie Nelson’s Valentine for her and now she loves “Willie Welson and my favorite part is when he says ‘introduce your heart to mine’ because it sounds like our hearts are going to play together.”

Here’s the finished piece:

Jewelry investment does not like hard edges. When liquid metal hits a sharp corner, it has a propensity to break off. The longer and thinner the investment, the greater the risk. Smoothing the text makes the mold a lot stronger. This is what the channels for the text look like up close:

Hi Eric,

If it’s going to be meshed anyway, you could experiment with converting to a polyline and _Smooth that.

How old is your daughter; no idea what age pre-k implies. She’s lucky to have a goldsmith as her father! Gonna lookup that song now

Best Willem

Oh, yeah. She can have whatever she wants in silver and CZs :slight_smile:

She just turned 5. Pre-k is for 4 year old’s.