Import a 3d studio max file with textures etc

Hi,
V5
How do I bring into a rhino project a 3d studio max file of an aircraft that has panel line and camouflage and insignia jpg files in with the file I downloaded.
and then get it to display as intended ?

Steve

Hi Steve- put all the textures in the same folder as the 3ds file and then open the 3ds in Rhino - does that look correct?

-Pascal

Hi, I go file open and browse to the folder in which is the 3ds and jpg files, and with all supported files selected, its blank, yet they are there.

Steve

Hi Steve.

If it is a from 3D Studio Max, it will be a xx.MAX file, not a xx.3DS.
You will need to export from max in a format Rhino can import.

Barry.

please using fbx format

Hi,
its a download from internet and its .max ( my mistake saying .3ds) so how do I go from there ?

I dont have 3ds max to open it into then save it out again as fbx.

doesnt Rhino have an ability to open a native 3dstudio max file ?

Steve

Hi @Steve1

I believe that *.max is proprietary, so no. You’ll need access to 3D Studio for that.

HTH, Jakob

Hi,
I dont have 3d studio and dont intend buying it just for this with Autodesks crazy subscription policy and pricing which assumes you are making big money and its the only prog you use.
As max files are popular, I am dissapointed we have no means at all of importing them.

I understood from others that one of the things they like about Rhino is the choice of import export options.

Maybe someone could convert this for me if I upload it here as a zip file.

Let me know if you can, PM me and I will upload it there if I can.

Steve

I’ll try again: [quote=“Normand, post:7, topic:33778”]
I believe that *.max is proprietary, so no. You’ll need access to 3D Studio for that.

HTH, Jakob
[/quote]

So no matter how dissapointed you are Rhino - or any other piece of software - will not convert the file for you. There are NO converters and NO other software that opens 3D Studio Max files; the format is proprietary!!! So yes, you’ll need access to 3D Studio Max for that.

-Jakob

Steve,

3ds Max saves scenes to a proprietary binary format with the extension .MAX. The specification of the format is not public. The content of the file is heavily dependent on the plug-in data used to build the scene, thus parsing the file outside of 3ds Max makes little sense.

– Dale