How to model off of a perspective photo of a house?

I need to model the nuclear test house, and I can’t find any straight elevations, only this three point perspective.
Anyone know how to set things up so I can model off of the photo. I would scale it according to the door height being standard 6’7".

There used to be a Google Earth/SketchUp module that would do that in a flash. I can’t remember exactly what it was but you could use views like this and pick the corners and it would come up with the non-perspective ortho geometry easily. Rhino can do the same and you could just use the ‘Mark 1 eyeball’ approach and work something out from the stock door height pretty quickly. What are you going to do with the model, blow it up?

Look at MATCH PERSPECTIVE in V5.

1 Like

Thank you, but Im not sure how this match perspective works. The help file does a bad job explaining.

It seems to assume I already have the model of the house… but the point is that I need to actually model off of the house. Hmmm…

Hi, I would also be very interested to know !
perspectiveMatch is about matching model to house, as you say, yet we have no model.

I recently trialled Form Z jr which has something similar and better, but again requires a model to match to photo.

Photogrammetry, might be worth looking at Photomodeler site or another, an unknown camera project one photo, seems to say revisit site, not practical for a nuke site.

My only other thought is, given that one can move model, and apply further match points in Form Z Jr MatchView and re-solve, (though a save command loses that) unlike perspectiveMatch which kills the command upon any zooming carried out, you could create an approx shape for walls, using door as an idea of scale, match it, alter model, match it again, then when good, go to creating roof height using what match you see as a guide, maybe draw a divisioned line or grid pattern up from top of wall and see where roof comes to on it. Draw also a numbered grid pattern across walls and note where the windows and chimney are on it. Draw in on model then MatchView it again.

Tip…I found one had to create an image 1467 x 951 pixels then F9 I recall was display properties to browse to it and display it. There was a video on its use I recall. Their tech support are very helpful.

Interested to see other suggestions.

Steve

2 Likes

jodyc111 demonstrating the Rhino Nuke command on his model of the house :grinning:

Steve

Hi Peter, Steve,
I do this by getting orthographic photos or measurements in the first place. Most recommended approach is to straighten cut apart the photo into orthographic images you can use a references within Rhino in front and side view.
I’ve attached the images and the procedure in photoshop as well as the quick and dirty 3dm file for this type of modeling.
RM

<a class=“attachment”photoHousexample.3dm (1.7 MB)

1 Like

Actually that was Make2D command on the house, projected to the groundplane.

Hi,
I imagine you cut round the house front in photoshop and pasted it into a new file, so it has a transparent background.
then used distort tool to square it up.
However with no idea of its proportions width/height ratio, one could end up with a variety of proportions, so what decides the correct proportion width/height ?
Then one makes a selection of the house side, and paste that and use distort tool to get edges ortho, and obviously height must match front wall height, but again nothing to control how wide one can make it.

Can you explain how you decide the proportions of side and front when getting edges ortho ?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

That the user kind of has to decide but at this stage in PS it doesn’t matter the important thing is to make sure that the vertical and horizontal lines are now square and not slanted the rest like size can be judged from what the windows and doors look like.

Sorry about that last file it was just to show the technique and was in mm I’ve attached a new file that shows the steps to scale up the images to correct size roughly.

The requirement from Peter was the door be 6’7" inches, in the file you’ll see how to scale the images using the 6’7" line.
I use this scale method all the time for my background images from big architectural objects to small models.
RM

photoHousexample2.3dm (1.8 MB)

I have a plug-in that offers functionality similar to Photoshop’s perspective correction tool (as mentioned in this thread: How to distort group of curves as in photoshop command?).

The plugin still needs refinement, could definitely use some beta testing, and destined to remain free of charge throughout. I’m willing to attach it here if that is acceptable to McNeel/Forum. Or to some other, more appropriate spot.

Here is a demo of how it would work with this particular setup (I apologize for the low level on audio):

Not necessarily an easy process, but not too bad either.

Well, no one said not to post it here, so here it is:
Projective2d.zip (17.5 KB)

To clarify my last post, this plugin is currently Windows only and will always be free regardless of beta/release status.

WRT security concerns: Code is readily inspectable (non-obfuscated).

Hi Seant,
I’ve only got V6 at the moment so I don’t know if your plugin will install.
If not I’ll try on V5 on my other computer but I’ve moved on and once a beta cycle begins I usually don’t go back to the older Rhino.

I watched your Video and your plugin looks pretty cool for doing the type of stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
RM

There is a software called PhotoModeler that does exactly the thing you want
http://www.photomodeler.com/products/modeler/default.html

I recall there was a basic free version around (PhotoModeler 3 or 4 ?) that would do nicely for your task.

hth
Cyana

PhotoModeler does look interesting, and I look forward to giving it a try. But, PhotoModeler and similar software need numerous photos from numerous different vantage points for accurate analysis. From the original post, it looks like only one photo is available.

I look into Rhino 6, see what needs to be done for compatibility.

The more photos you have, the more accurate the result will be. However, if you have good metadatas from the photo in question (focus, etc.), the result is already stunning with only one photo. I use PhotoModeler for my own Rhino project, when no drawings are available.

hth
Cyana