How to create a brick type (or square) mesh from point cloud?

Hello everyone,
I have hundreds of points created from a surface. The points are almost neatly sorted out. Please see below as an example:

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

I want the mesh to look like a group of squares (or I’d better say 4-sided polygons) side by side.
However, when I use the MeshFromPoints command, the mesh that it creates looks like a group of rhombus and the edges do not exactly pass through the points.
I need the vertices to be exactly on the points and edges to exactly pass through the vertices.
I appreciate any help on how to do that.
Thanks a lot

Does Meshpatch get you anything you like?

-Pascal

1 Like

Thank you Pascal. Almost what I want but still within each 4-sided polygon there’s one diagonal …anyway to remove the diagonals?
It’s really good though

QuadrangulateMesh would be the next thing to try.

-Pascal

If the points are arranged in rows each the same length you can use
SrfControlPtGrid followed by ExtractControlPolygon.

Thanks Jim. I don’t think if the lengths are exactly the same all the time. It’s a huge reservoir model…

Pascal when I use this command it asks for Planarity and Rectangularity so I set Rectangularity to 2 (instead of 1 which is for perfect rectangles) and voila :smiley: Thank you

I’m going to need to do this for about 8 horizons (you see 3 of them in the picture). Eventually I need it to form a “volume”! I don’t know if it’s possible with Rhino or not but maybe a “surface” would be good too! By that I mean I want it to eventually look like the Rubik’s cube (but it’s not cube technically!!!)… So could you tell me how to do this too? like do I need to first create these “wires” and then make a volume/surface out of it? or …
Thank you soooooo much

Weyburn Phase 1B Reservoir Modelling-Coarse Grid Endpoint Saturation  Connate Gas - Copy.jpg

There is also one last thing. Some horizons (say 4 and 5 for instance) coincide at some points. The attached figure shows a cross section of what I mean. If you imagine it, it means that within these horizons, some points will have the same coordinates so at those points, a brick type zone cannot exist! It can be maybe a degenerate, wedge or pyramid zone etc.
My ultimate goal is this:
Start from the bottom horizon
Make as many brick type layers as possible
When I get to points as shown in the attachment with the same coordinates (coinciding lines), maybe skip those points and go ahead with the rest of grid generation (I guess Oct-tree type of mesh is what people call this)

I really hope this makes any sense to you guys so that you can give me suggestion on how to do that. The reason why the number of zones should be so exact is because this model is going to be imported to a software which is going to be coupled with another software who will pass the grid properties to this one so the grids should exactly match …

Thanks a lot