How to apply a JPEG or a bit map label artwork to a surface

Could anyone help me please. I use Rhino cad v3 and I want to add a jpeg or bitmap image of a label to a surface. I have done this in the past but for the life of me I simply cannot remember how I did it and I cannot find any help in my various Rhino cad manuals. Regards David

Hi David - use a material with the image as a texture, or use a Decal (Object properties). Either way it might be easiest to add the image as a texture in the Texture panel first.

-Pascal

Rhino V3 did not have that ability using the native rendering too.
It was only possible with a plug-in rendering tool like Flamingo that included a “Decal” feature.

The only clunky work-around was to float a new surface slightly above the object and apply the bitmap as a color texture to the extra surface.

Rhino Render in V5 includes a Decal feature.

Dear John,

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I am now retired so I only use my Rhino software from time to time as a hobby so I cannot justify the cost to upgrade to v5.

What I forgot is that I do have the Flamingo software but I cannot remember what version so I need to check tomorrow. Perhaps I must have use the Flamingo application to place a label artwork in the past.

Kind regards

David

Dear Pascal,

Thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

My problem is that now I am retired I only use my Rhino v3 software from time to time so I am very rusty and Incannot justify upgrading to v5.

You will have seen that John made reference to using Flamingo however I had completely forgotten that I have this software. It must be a symptom of my age !

Kind regards

David

I looked up your order history and you own a license of Flamingo 1.1
Here’s a download link:
http://www.rhino3d.com/download/Flamingo/1.1/sr
You’ll need your Flamingo license key code

Dear John,

I have all my cd’s and activation codes so I will see what I can do tomorrow.

Out of interest can you tell me if I could upgrade from v3 to v5 Rhino and if so what would be the approximate cost.

Kind regards

David

The commercial upgrade from any previous Rhino version is $495

Dear John,

Thank you for the information about the cost of the upgrade.

Kind regards

David

Dear John,

I just wanted to let you know that I am back on track using the Flamingo to apply the label to my work.

You kindly sent me a download link for Flamingo, I had already clicked the check for updates but the link fails to open to your site so do you suggest I download the software again as I assume there may have been some updates from when I first downloaded the software.

For your information I have my original Flamingo CD and Licence code.

Kind regards

David

Dear John,

Could you help me again please.

You will no doubt be aware that Microsoft keep asking their Windows users via repeated pop up screen messages to update to Window 10. My main desktop PC runs Windows 7 Professional and I am extremely reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10 as there is a possibility that some of my software will not run correctly including Rhino and Flamingo.

As an exercise I have just tried to load all my Rhino and Flamingo software cd’s onto my new laptop which has the Windows 10 operating system just to see if it will run correctly.

I loaded the various cd’s in order :-

1. Rhino 1

2. Rhino 1.1 with unlock code

3. Rhino 2.0 with unlock code

4. Rhino 3.0 with unlock code

5. Flamingo 1.0 with unlock code

All loaded ok and Rhino v2 will open with Flamingo but when I try to open Rhino 3 will eventually open but the Flamingo is missing.

Do you have any suggestions as to what could be my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

David