How does one move or delete the initial Fillet handles created by default?

Hi
V5
VariableFilletSrf creates two default handles, user doesn’t get to say where these occur.
There is no means of moving them or deleting them it seems !
I can add, move and delete additional handles.

That is not much use as it is not possible to place additional handles outside of the two default handles, only between them.
So lets move them to the ends of the surface then add more in between…this plan fails…
as they cannot be deleted or moved, so it is impossible to place handles along the surface edge to the very ends.

attached a test piece. devoid of anything done as it was impossible to do anything.

I am unable also to drag the radius greater then 0.62 it jumps to 0.00.

Its all a bit frustrating.

if one pick selects a handle there is a chance of entering a value for it in the command line but its very ‘delicate’ …i.e chance easily lost !
TestFilletAndChamferMethods.3dm (106.2 KB)

Steve

A big part of your problem is the end cap surface. You should use a planar rectangular surface that is bigger than the wing, and use your wing/airfoil section to trim it out. You’ve used NetworkSrf to make that end cap surface, and while I’d say don’t ever use NetworkSrf for a variety of reasons, it’s especially troublesome here. Also, note that if you want a variable blend all the way around, you need the wing surface to be one single surface. Notice that VariableFilletSrf prompts you to pick two surfaces, so if you want to use it to finish off the end in one shot, you need to have your wing as one single surface.

-Sky

1 Like

Hi,
this was a fictitious test piece as such but was drawn up same way as my serious piece, networkSrf.

I am only after creating a radiused edge on the curving portion and envisaged doing the upper then mirroring it to the lower as upper/lower are same.

I didnt realise NetworkSrf could be troublesome, where there is a network of curves, sweep isnt of use, is loft better ?

I am not able to visualise what you refer to regard trimming out a planar rectangle bigger than the wing.

ah yes I think I have it, you refer to the tailplane blunt end, place a planar surface across it and abutting then use dupedge, create a curve and use that to trim away excess, or maybe just use surface edge if rhino allows.

that way I dont end up with a cobweb of isocurves and all sorts of funnies when rhino tries to surface that area.

<<You’ve used NetworkSrf to make that end cap surface,>>

er…no…I did use surface from 2 3 or 4 curves, I overlooked the planar surface tool, would that have made a difference ?
Lost me a bit at the end…

I was to plan on doing upper half then mirroring to lower half as they are same.

Skinning up wings and tailplane and fins and rudders is a regular task here. being asked for before I get a chance to disappear with my tutorials and learn rhino then surface, and its all wanted ‘yesterday’.

As you are into aviation you might wish to take a look at my dilemma in wrecking aerofoil sctn to get a rhino network to fit:-

see post entitled advice-sought-on-this-network-intersection-as-fixing-it-wrecks-correct-profile

(tried posting a link to it but that failed for some reason…just shows part of the text)

Steve

Hi…again…
Stratosfear has very kindly created a surfaced tailplane tip with better methods from my curve network, I see it is, when exploded, 5 surfaces for the upper, so if you now say I need one surface so as to use fillet, and not to make it using networkSrf, I feel I am somewhat snookered !

If such is the case, avoid Network Srf and avoid surfaces >1 this will prove impossible for some surfaces in life I would imagine.

I am stuck now on how to fillet my sliced section tailplane tip.

I also find that the default fillet handles , dont appear at surface edge ends and as such I cannot fillet it anyway as one cannot place extra handles outside of the default pair.

Steve

The way that stratosfear did it does not use a fillet command, so it does not matter that it’s more than two surfaces. You were asking why you could not move the handles outside of the initial location and how to use that command. It still stands that if you want to use VariableFilletSrf or commands like that it is best to have two surfaces, and to make the end cap the way he/I described.

Hi,
I need to explain this a bit better.
I need to cut across the object which will mean going across his two or more surfaces.

keep one half marked keep and delete the other,

i then need to surface the open planar face and fillet the indicated curve with variable fillet as indicated.

with two surfaces I cant see how this can be done if fillet needs one each side of fillet.

Pascal said best sweep2 the trailing edge. so he railed that.

I see Stratosfear has not captured that aspect. as shown.

How are such shapes to be single surfaced ?

Puzzled
TailplaneTip_FilletMethod.3dm (156.4 KB)
this was 10Mb so I did a save small, hope its ok, now 157kb !
Steve