Hiding forum categories

I just updated the discourse server, so this feature should be available in your preferences now.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks! @sam Just a small niggle, when you click in the space to enter a category, you get a blank box and you need to type a character to show the available categories, but the character you type limits the selection. IMO it would be better if there was a dropdown immediately. What I do now to see all is spacebar-backspace…

Cool thanks for the implementation! I’ve added a couple of categories to my ‘muted’ option, yet they still show up in the ‘latest’ section of the site, I was hoping this would hide them from the list.

I’m not sure that we can tell this early.
At least not from the categories that I muted. I unmuted to check but there haven’t been new postings in those categories. Note that new replies to muted categories will still show up as you have started reading the thread.
But, by all means, it is possible that your muted categories have had new entries …

So it does not hide all posts? only new ones from the chosen categories? in that case never mind me so far : )

I would think so, yes. Of course, I haven’t read the documentation… :wink:

We shan’t read! We shall wait and see ^^

Sadly, It does not work as hoped. Topics from “muted” categories still show up in the “Latest” page, which is the default landing page for me

All “Muted” does - as far as I understand - is an automatic “mark all read” of the category. It will not hide categories nor posts… Simply that they do not get counted in your “new/unread” tallies. Did I get that right?

–MItch

I am afraid that is also the way I also expect it to work, but not the functionality I hoped for

Sorry, I will be adding that, hold tight till your next release cycle.

2 Likes

hurray! all hail @sam!

FYI muting is now implemented and deployed.

Muted categories will be excluded from your “new” and “latest” lists.

1 Like

Awesome!

[edit]

Ah I see, it is the same function but updated, thank you very much! : )

@sam

When unmuting a category, going to “categories” and choosing the Category you’ve just unmuted, it does not show any posts. How do I get all topics from a category to be visible again?

The point in hiding categories does not mean you néver want to see them again, just that you don’t get them in the recent/new modes, but in it’s own category it should be accessible right?

It feels like the current programming of this ‘software’ had focused on hiding all topics IN a category rather then the category itself?

I came across this because i’ve posted in a category I previously did not use, but now am possibly going to be more active in, so not only future posts I would like to see, but also all previous posts since it might hold valuable info. Any tips on how to make them visible again? (I of course already tried unmuting the category in question)

We don’t really hold any state for muted categories so something is a bit astray there. Can you give me full details so I can impersonate you and have a fix.

Yeah that was an oversight, just fixed it.

I had muted for example “Bongo” category, because we did not do anything yet with animation, now we are starting up some research on animation and I made post and chose “Bongo” as a category. Now my own post did not show up in the list, but I figured, I muted the category myself, so I’ll just unmute it and it would show up, but it did not.

In the category view itself I was not able to see any posts either, so I was only able to find my topic via my profile. But I believe in your second part of your reply you said this should be solved : )

This is all deployed now, are you still noticing any issues here?

Not at the moment no, seems to be working as intended now, If I encounter any other strange behavior, I’ll be sure to let you know!

1 Like