Helping Rhino3D is damage to Rhino3D?

Hello Kevlism,
it is always important to separate the concept of class-A for an engineer, and the concept of class-A for a stylist.

Typically in a Style Center who works on classes-A has many years of work on the lower classes. It requires sensitivity to the style language and the technical aspects.

In general, those who work A-classes in a Style Centere is a designer who does not have the chops to be an excellent stylist but it is one that knows how to convert deftly sketches in 3D.

In the U.S. i do not know how much you can earn but I think that you need to be a provider for a consulting company (to enter in a Style Center).In Sweden you can earn  8000€ per month or more (and even more in Australia). But it depends on your level and the company you work for… and the software (ICEMsurf __)

I recommend studies in the field of car design (within schools that teach Alias ​​and other CAD as Rhino).

@Ferrozzo

Hi Marco,
so if I understood correctly:
you would teach (with a tutorial) how to achieve class-A surfaces but you’re afraid that, after this, Discreet would see Rhino’s power so will buy it and license’s cost will grow from 1.000€ to 50.000€ as Alias.
Couldn’t it be, instead, that Alias’s users can see Rhino’s potentiality and decide to buy 50 licenses of it instead of Alias’s one?
Ciao

2 Likes

Hi Marco,

I still don’t see how creating tutorials about how to do your type of surface modeling would damage Rhino. To be honest, I would be surprised if none of the big players in CAD-land have already shown interest in Rhino. If I’m not mistaken, the business model of Rhino and the way it’s ownership is setup, it is not a company that is as easy to buy as other companies are.

-Willem

All this is just a tempest in a teapot…

1. If McNeel wanted to sell out to Autodesk it would be done by now…
  2. Alias, ICEM and the like have been specifically targeting the automotive market for a long time, whereas Rhino has always considered that as just one small market segment.
  3. Car companies don’t care about software prices, the more expensive, the better. They like “tailored” solutions and the focus on the trade that automotive specific software has.

–Mitch

1 Like

Just to have some facts right:

Autodesk bought:
-Discreet Logic and Kinetix in 1999 (they are merged into Discreet)
-Alias Systems in 2006 (Discreet division is renamed MED and incorporates Alias)
-Opticore and Skymatter (Mudbox) in 2007
-Softimage in 2008
-T-splines in 2011
-Virtual Shape and Delcam in 2013

I remember these mainly because I knew people working at some of these companies. Discreet and Softimage were in Montréal, Alias in Toronto.

Hi Ferrozzo,

I think you can do this in rhino very easy, please see the 3rd/4th post in the thread.

I have see some skilled people do 1span srf in rhino,they can build a car in the icem way,but I don’t know the principle,can you help me in the above thread?

thx.

Personally I would find any additional tutorials on Class A surfacing very useful. I have been actively looking for this information.

“The secrecy shrouding so many techniques is evidence of small minds trying to protect small properties.” - Charles Lewton-Brain

Hello asdfsjal,
I read your post but what I mean is very different.
The matching is only part of the problem. The work of A-Class (but also a C-Class) is recursive and it’s useful to study the best possible construction.
It’s not exclusively a problem of matching, maybe you can work several minutes on a sharp object but in order to ensure opportunities to the next step (matching, etc…).
This week i am very busy with work (including week end) but by the end of next week i try to give you an example.
You should proceed for views, work planes, curves, well-set, and finally realizes the first sharp forms.
The rounded corners are the last step (good job, your procedure contains part of what I’ll try to explain). But where I work is almost forbidden surfaces in 3 sides. The radius are done in other ways. And always in a very different way from the crude method of traditional CAD (CATIA, UG, Pro-E, …). In surface design the aesthetic part is well cared and everything that is not aesthetic is not represented (exist the engineering work for this content).

But to have a clean matching exists “functions” not widely used in Rhino3D but really very useful.
Bye, see you next week

Hi Ferrozzo - I would not hesitate to make Class A tutorials. No Rhinos will be harmed in the process.

thanks,

-Pascal

2 Likes

My mom told me I was the best rhinoer 3Der :sob:

2 Likes

Must…resist…urge…to…say…“But… that’s… what… she… told… me… last… night”

It’s no good I have no self control :smile:

2 Likes

You’re just a bad Boyes… Go to your room now… :smiling_imp:

hope I’m not too late to get into the discussion on Class A surfaces. Here goes, I am a student of drawing ,period. How I learn is who better can show me or if I can get it on my own. If someone is generous enough to have a tutorial on class A ,i will be in line to learn . Thanks before hand . I do enjoy the civil conversations in this forum; very intelligent folks .

Yes, please do make a class A tutorial.

Its amazing to think that a proper and decent class-A tutorial doesn’t even really exist for rhino.

I am very much looking forward to this tutorial that will unveal the secret mathematical code that lies buried within the murky shadows of the Rhinoceros core. Let’s awaken the beast within the Rhino. And no, we shall not show any fear nor mercy for the evil that will try to overthrow us.

This whole Class A story is starting to sound like an alternative plot for that 1998 π (Pi) movie.

But really I do look forward to the tutorial. I am all excited. Yes please do post it and if this is all indeed true, you will be my 3DRhinoer master.

1 Like

I’m sorry for the delay but we are very busy from work in these weeks -____-!
I hope, in the next two weeks, to prepare not a video (I do not have the time) but snapshots with comments in this post. I was thinking of something similar to the first Alias tutorial using a very simple form. A kind of archetype of the problems that you may encounter in everyday modeling.
Promised but unfortunately the time is not enough.
Marco

I think you could make it in a easier way…
Just a 1-2-3 step sample file (you don’t even need to put explanation).
If you’re not going to post something, we could think you’re trolling us…
Sorry.
Ciao

Ferrozzo, I think that I’m not sure why you left your original “arrogance” in your post. I am thinking that I would like to learn car body-design from you, and not only you. I worry that if someone admits that you are the best at anything will prohibit you from becoming better at something.

I am also thinking that you got caught up in a company’s class-A marketing hype.

You did ask : )

3 Likes

Deadlines can be a bitch at this time of year, take your time Ferrozzo, I look forward to see your tutorials. Pictures video or what ever format you end up using.

All the best!

Hi Ferrozzo - I hope you find some time to write the tutorial! Looking forward to it!
Cheers