Help! Join

I am having a lot of trouble merging/joining these meshes together. I have tried several different methods and cannot find a solution. Some of the methods I’ve tried is Boolean union, changing it back to NURBS and trying to split them with each other and joining them, joining edges, etc. I need the meshes to be seamless since I want to apply a modification to all of it without distinction between the top and the heal/platform. Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!
Thank you

What exactly do you want to join? The top part is a closed mesh like a thick piece of leather. Also there is a sole in between the foot part and the heel/platform. There are lots of other reasons why this might not join. What parts do you REALLY want to join together? What modifications do you want to make?

Id like to join the “leather” part and the heal/sole. The insole is not really important. So the two outer/main meshes. I wouldn’t really want to make any modifications to it other than merging both meshes. Thank you

The model is for 3d printing so it needs to be joined at least the top leather part and the heal. I want to reduce the poly count on it to give it a tesselated look, but I need them to be joined other wise the top starts to separate and a gap is created between the “leather” top and the heal as the the poly count decreases.

Hi Gabriela - I would delete the bottom mesh and use FillMeshHole to close that up. You can then Unweld at 0 degrees to see this as faceted rather than smooth- does that get at anything you need to do? The shoe part you can also do something like ReduceMesh (accurate on the slider, I would say) a few times and then Unweld this as well to see the facets.

Getting this to be one closed mesh for printing is a little more work…

-Pascal

Actually, I think a lot more work. Since the sole is a single surface and the last has thickness, these will never actually join. And they really shouldn’t. Realistically, the sole and the foot part would be made separately, right?

What I did was to delete the bottom sole, turn on the vertices for the side of the sole and use SetPt to make the vertices all in the same plane. Then I used DupMeshEdge on the bottom of the side sole and used PlanarSrf to make a surface from the curve. I meshed the surface, deleted the surface and joined the sole to the side.

Then FillMeshHole did a nice job of filling the top of the sole piece.

For the foot part, this is all one mesh. How do you expect the top part to look? Closed over or open like a real shoe?

Margaret

Thank you so much for your help!
I want it to be open like a real shoe, but this will be perfect since I can just split this mesh with the shoe Last I used to design it, aka a mesh that has the shape of the foot that will go in it.

Oh so there is no way of joining this, no matter what?

What if I make both the leather, and the sole solids and then apply a boolean union? would that work?

Hi Gabriela- Do you need to print it as a single object, or in parts to be glued up?

-Pascal

Pascal,

Unfortunatley it has to be printed as a single object, it will be printed in a flexible matterial and otherwise it would not withstand the pressure!

If that is the case, you have to explode and delete the inner surfaces and edges of the “last” part of the shoe so there is a single surface. Then you will have to match the edges of the sole to the edges of the last. There isn’t a quick, easy way to do this.

OK. I needed a break from what I was doing, so I made a stab at this. See if this will work for you. I didn’t know if you wanted the top filled in. If you do, join the magenta mesh to the rest of the shoe. If not, then delete it.

meshjoins-2.3dm (315.3 KB)

Thank you so much margaret!!!

I am so sorry to bother you guys again!

But how do I get rid of that seam between the leather and the sole? I want it to be a seamless transition between leather/last and the heel. Any help much appreciated!!!

Hi Gabriela- I’m not sure I’ve done you any good here but see if this file helps at all - I manipulated the mesh points at the transition area (Selected with Brush >Curve in the Front view, using the red curve, and a small brush diameter (10). Then with these mesh points selected, Smooth in Z a small amount.

Note I welded the mesh at 45 or so, before monkeying with the points, and then unwelded at 0 when done so you could see the facets. Note exporting to STL does not care if the mesh is welded or not.

meshjoins-2_PG.3dm (115.2 KB)

-Pascal

Pascal

This is perfect!!! THANK YOU so much. This is exactly what I wanted, and about the brush tool, did not know that even existed. Again thank you so much

I should give you some details about how this was done, just so you don’t think it was magic.

1. Explode the last and delete all the interior surfaces so you only
    have the outer mesh.
  2. On the sole, turn on the points, select all the points on the bottom
    row and use SetPt to make them all in one plane.
  3. DupMeshBorder for the bottom edge of the sole.
  4. Delete the sole.
  5. DupMeshBorder the bottom edge of the last.
  6. Draw some lines between the two border curves.
  7. Sweep2 using the duplicated borders as the rails and the lines as
    the profile curves. (you could also Loft between the two border
    curves).
  8. Mesh the result.
  9. Use ReduceMesh on the last.
  10. Join the sole and last.
  11. Turn on ShowEdges to show the naked edges between the last and
    sole.
  12. Use CollapseMeshVertex where the naked edges are until they all
    disappear.
  13. FillMeshHole with Join to fill the sole.

Margaret,
Thank you so much, I am going to try to walk through your explanation step by step.
Thank you so much for your help

Hello
Could you please capture some of your sole modelling by rhino and share it please? I am trying to learn by myself alone from you tube videos only. Tehre are may problems that I cannot solve. i watched all the videos on the internet about the shoe soles, but they are the easy ones. A three colors of sport shoes sole looks so complicated.