Grasshopper for Mac available for testing

HA!
In that accent what was the test-command to save gh-definitions as plugin-data in the 3DM file?
…now that GH is an integral part of all Rhinos - just wondering :wink:
Jess

As a proof-of-concept (made on GH for Windows, but hey), the attached file provides control over four different variables and makes all geometry from scratch:

You get to pick the radius of the circle.
The minimum distance between the circle and the square.
The number of radial lines per square edge (plus one in fact, that was a mistake on my part).
The radius of the circle pipe, the square pipe and the radial pipes (currently they are all the same but they could be different).

ring layer.gh (9.1 KB)

1 Like

Unfortunately that doesn’t exist, and probably will never exist for GH1. We’ll make sure that GH2 data can be stored inside the 3dm, although I will definitely retain a separate file format as well.

will someone try to enter an expression via a right click menu?
say Series-> Count… try to make it -1

i’m not sure if i’m doing it wrong or expressions aren’t working
?

hmmm…
How many numbers would you expect to get out of that series?

not sure if I get you, but I think what you want is x-1. In input expressions one always uses x as the variable.

Like that warning has been so much taken into account with rhino betas :wink:

So I upgraded to Captain and yes, it does work now!

1 Like

in that example, i was wanting 1 less than the amount which was being fed into it … (which varies)

ok, this is where my problem was…
using Circle as an example, say i wanted Diameter instead of Radius… i’d need the expression /2 in there…

i tried /2 … i tried R / 2 …and neither worked… but x / 2 does work.
thanks!

(that said, i was watching a video from 2011 in which the presenter was using the letter which he was adding an expression to… he wasn’t using x/2… in the circle, he’d of used R / 2 )

At some point (don’t remember when) all input parameter expressions changed from using the letter at the input to just using x. The logic behind that is somewhat sound because there are a multitude of ways that someone could have changed the nickname (single letter) of that input. Also, there is a mode which shows the full name of the input. In the end, @DavidRutten decided that it would be more straightforward to just use x.

Please note, these kinds of issues relate to GH, independent of platform.

1 Like

got it… thanks.
it’s just at this point , for me (someone who hasn’t used grasshopper on windows before), i don’t really know if i’m seeing a mac specific issue or if i should be asking the question in the general grasshopper category.
:wink:

I see! Looking forward to your comments and suggestions as someone looking at it with fresh ‘mac’ eyes!

tbh, i pretty much agree with all of @marlin’s views regarding UI and conventions and whatnot… so whatever he says about UI, just add a +1 for me :slightly_smiling:

that said, grasshopper looks to be a whole new way of thinking as far as mac conventions are concerned… i’m just hyped on the functionality so whatever it takes as far as me doing things differently than i’m used to, i’ll go ahead and learn the new methods… happily. (of course, in a perfect world, i might say differently but hey, we’re far from perfect world ; )

i have this client for whom i make 20 or so of these tables per year:

the tops are to all have varying random hole patterns and at different sizes according to store dimensions… and varying amounts of random filled holes… etc…

already finish a .gh for them :smiley:

HolesDenimTable.gh (13.9 KB)

the last couple of batches i made were with python in rhino… but i have to say, after my short experience with grasshopper so far, it’s way better for me (like- it’s more enjoyable/fun… more along the way i think than writing code is… etc)

idk, maybe grasshopper isn’t production ready on mac yet but then again, i’ve been using mac rhino in my work for at least 6 years now… maybe i’m just a renegade like that (though i admit, i do have fall-back plans for all this stuff… just that i haven’t really needed to go there yet)

2 Likes

I guess it all boils down to what “production” means to you. I wouldn’t create an artificial heart with early WIP software, but different patterned tables may be just fine :slightly_smiling:

Nice to see that this is already working for you Jeff.

heh… right.
there’s little to no risk for me to try incorporating WIP design software into most of my work… i definitely understand others don’t have similar freedom and should certainly refrain from bringing mac grasshopper (or even mac rhino in cases) into their flow right now.

Another thing to note is that Grasshopper geometry typically ends up being Rhino geometry at some late point in the design process. This Rhino geometry is the same geometry that you’ve been working with for years… just created in a different way.

I think the important thing for people to remember is not about the quality of the geometry created and more that they shouldn’t be depending on this tool yet to get a project complete that is on a deadline. Murphy’s Law will kick in at some point and first WIPs of any product will tend to crash the night before your project deadline.

1 Like

speaking of which…
is there a way to bake all the geometry shown by grasshopper in one shot? or do you have to individually bake each component.

Just use shift+click to select the various components you want to bake. In Windows, you can then hit the spacebar and the popup menu will appear, and you can hit the egg (bake) icon - or right-click+“bake”. Not sure how it works on MacRhino, away from my Mac for the next 10 days or so…

–Mitch

hmm… ok then… this seems like something that’s not properly working on mac at the moment.

can someone else try this file on mac:

bakeHelp.gh (8.2 KB)

i’d like to bake all the points/curves/surfaces created with the definition but it appears, even if multiple components are selected, only one of the items will become rhino geometry.

?

Hmm, does the item under the Solution menu “Bake Selected” work on Mac?

Is the popup menu (normally activated with spacebar on Windows) enabled on Mac via some other key?

–Mitch