From digitizer polylines convert to smooth curves

Hi guys,

I have some doubt how to convert the polylines countour measured with a digitizer (PROLINER) for get a smooth
curves with not so many point. From the curves converted I want to make nice and smooth surfaces with no naked edges

Any idea I will appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Regards.

Luka

1 Like

Hi Luka - for simple shapes like what you show, I would build new curves using the polylines as visual guides. You can use the vertex locations (ExtractPt) wiith PointDeviation to see how close you are with the new curve. Post the file with the curves if you like.

-Pascal

Thanks Paskal! I followed your suggest it works. But still I would like to find a quick method to draw in 3D a good continuity surface (canvas panels) as soon as possible.
Still I loose a lot of time for the curves and sometimes the result is not perfect.
My personal issue that I need to follow the polylines got from the digitizer, so everything is custom, both sides, I cannot mirror for increase the speed.

Another method that I cannot discover, how to offset a curves in 3D Practically from a 3d curve I want to define a line of cutting that is in the equal distance from the curve. I leave you the file and I screenshot.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

X42_sprayhood_bozic.3dm (305.4 KB)

1 Like

Hi Luka - OffsetCrvOnSrf may be what you are looking for.

-Pascal

Thanks Paskal. For your timely response.

I have another question about the best method to insert a validate smooth cross section for produce a surface from a curve network command.

My job is focused on marine canvas. Like as said before usually I measure the boat with a special digitazer then I followed your advice to use the measured lines as a guides and I try to produce first a border curves and later a cross section curves for get the best surface result.

I need to find a compromise of speed and accuracy in smooth surfaces, and try to follow the real attribute of the surface like a canvas material.

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

I leave you the file with a border layer and cross section layer, so you can understand where

I send you also some photo of the old canvas

thank you in advance

regards.

Cranchi CSL27.3dm (146.1 KB)

1 Like

Hello Luka,

Any chance you could share one of the digitized curves? What sort of tolerance is required when converting your polylines to curves?

In that case I would employ Grasshopper and it’s smoothing & rebuilding options.

[quote=“Piotr, post:7, topic:27427, full:true”]
In that case I would employ Grasshopper and it’s smoothing & rebuilding options.
[/quote]What smoothing and rebuilding capability is available using Grasshopper which is not available in regular Rhino?

I think it is easier to control and watch the results. i don’t know what is fully available in Rhino, I always refer to GH in similar cases.

Hi Lucky - I am with Texo on this- it would be best to have the original digitized inputs for the curves you posted if that is possible.

-Pascal

Hi guys,

The original digitazed polylines curves you can find in the layer 0 black color. Don’t forget about the simple point
in the middle of the boat, which is the support for the canvas ( check the photo of the boat).

The tolerance is ± 5 mm from the digitized curves.

My though is how to find a right sequence of rights command to define a good cross section that follow the real canvas shape ( like in the photo) I’m not worry about the borders curves.

Thanks in advance

regards.

Since we are specifically talking a canvas product here, I would think that one would have to look at some tensile mesh relaxation capability - for which there are Grasshopper solutions. It’s not my area of work and possibly some of these plugins can be run from Rhino as well…

[quote=“lucky33, post:11, topic:27427, full:true”]
Hi guys,

The original digitazed polylines curves you can find in the layer 0 black color. Don’t forget about the simple pointin the middle of the boat, which is the support for the canvas ( check the photo of the boat).

The tolerance is ± 5 mm from the digitized curves.

My though is how to find a right sequence of rights command to define a good cross section that follow the real canvas shape ( like in the photo) I’m not worry about the borders curves.

Thanks in advance

regards.
[/quote]Did you intend to attach a file? If so I don’t see it.

Cranchi CSL27.3dm (146.1 KB)

The file attached.

Thanks.

Hi Lucky,
Did you manage to do that cover? If so, could you share the big lines?
Thanks!