Flow 3d object in upright 90° on srf

hi,

i am working on my bachelors project, and i have got a question i would enjoy to get an answer for :smiley:

As you see on the image i have got a surface and projected a grid onto in, its basepoint is the center of the “stage”…

so now i would like to orient the seats with a lowpoly person included on every intersection point. Or float the seats along the line.
The problem with the usual floatalongsrf. is that the seats are not in 90° position, more like looking downwards on the floor :slight_smile: … they should stay 90° but follow the surface…

any hints how i could do this?

The easiest would be to make a script that inserts the chair at each insertion point.
And orients it toward the center of the stage. Not a difficult task, I am working on it now, but now I have to put my daugher to bed first :wink:
(Just need to orient the chairs toward center to be done)

Grasshopper might interest you too as an option if you’re not familiar with scripting… OrientOnSrf.gh (24.1 KB)

i tried the python script, works like a charm… just the orientation is missing, but its perfect!

yeah my next mission is grasshopper…
orientation towards a center point is needed here, too… but its very powerful, i know…

anyway :smiley: you made my day, both! thx!
if some of you can provide me some orientation towards a center point i would really love it!

edit:// by the way… lets talk about performance. What is better for the speed of the model? using a block or a booled nurbs or mesh with GH?

Ok, now she’s at sleep and here is the script working, with the Rhino file I tested on.

This will probably only work in Top View (And perspective view if Cplane = Top)
Edit: Oh, and the block has to be “facing” in the X direction.
And the block can be edited so all instances are updated of course. (rotate or add a person)

Good luck!

InsertBlockAtPointsAndOrient.py (844 Bytes) InsertBlockAtPointsAndOrient.3dm (123.7 KB)

BIG BIG BIG Thx :smiley:

You are welcome.

Regarding speed: I would always use a block for this, as I would be able to update them. Even swap out the entire chair, or change colors or redesign on the fly. Displaying a mesh is faster than nurbs, so sometimes they are just what I’d use. Also play with the mesh settings of the nurbs if you need more speed. Turning off Isocurves and lowering the custom mesh settings can make a sluggish scene much faster. Both to navigate and to render.

Now off to the couch for a beer with the wife. Cheers.

Hi Brian,

Is there a way rotate each object randomly after you have this setup in Grasshopper?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Leo