Feature request for Rhino 6 - Match curve/s to an axis

Hi everybody,

Another feature I would like to see in Rhino 6 is “Automatic matching of curve/s (ends) to an axis”,
a 2 points reference line could be great. I would have called it “MatchCrvByAxis” :smile:

I’ll explain… sometimes you have a situation where you just want to match a line or multiple lines tangent (for example) to a straight line (if it will be a 2 points reference it won’t even have to be paralleled to any world axis).

Here is a trick I came up with a very long time ago, not sure if there is a better/faster way of doing this.
I could create these curves in another way but I assume here that these could even be organic and asymmetric curves.

Take a look at this:

(This is what I’d like to avoid, using lines and matching them one by one:)

So what I was thinking is a command that will match the ends of any curves to a 2 points reference.
if something like that would have been used it could have saved creating a line, copying it, and matching the curves one by one.

more organic surfaces example:

This command could also work for single lines like this for example:

Quickly getting a 90 degrees corner if we’ve liked:

The command could also offer some options for continuity in its options in the command bar.

Best Regards,

Roy Zadok.

Makes sense. It could be easily scripted, I think.

Hi Roy- this is SetCurveTangentDirection right? SetSurfaceTangent exists - is it a curve version of that command that you are after? So Match, tangency, to a ‘virtual’ line, right?
-Pascal

Hi @pascal, Exactly! :smile:
I know SetSurfaceTangent exist, I actually forgot to mention it as it’s the same thing that I was thinking of- just for a curve, you are exactly right.
I forgot about it as when I do tangency for a surface like that, most of the times I will take care of it with curves,
since SetSurfaceTangent only works with an untrimmed surface which it almost never the case for me.
and also because I am not limited to what SetSurfaceTangent gives me which sometimes can be limiting by the surface shape and amount of control points. with a curve it’s not like that, you will always get the expected and required result. (matching the lower ends in this example and then editing the upper control point to suit my desired shape which I didn’t do there)

Thanks,

Roy Zadok.