Export selected as pdf asks for pdf printer but which one to use?

Hi,
Yesterday experimenting as to how to export Rhino in a way that can be opened into Photoshop, I tried export selected and chose pdf, and it worked. (though resolution option was missing) no way to make something 300dpi and A4. This was on an XP laptop.
Today I try for the same under windows 7 and it says unable to find a pdf printer.

Just what do I need to print pdf from rhino under win7 64 bit.

A quick look for best free pdf maker sees programs that will open files. They are not going to understand a 3dm though, they also have various spam warnings etc, or people say was good , avoid now etc…I need something that rhino will see in the export options. A PDF driver. and issue free, I dont want it messing up my PC build, its already sick and thats with me being hyper careful, not having gone anywhere near such extras.

This is the trouble. msoft OS goes on, PC works, then we have to venture into the scary territory of these progs that Msoft dont supply.

Steve

Hi Steve - you’ll need to install a pdf print driver - there are a bunch of freebies out there - CutePDF, PDF995, PrimoPDF…

-Pascal

Hi, I started reading up on them and they all carried horror stories so I backed off.

which ones do you guys n gals out in rhino land use ?

Steve

I use PDF995 and BullZip personally, and have done so for many years.

I use PDFCreator: http://www.pdfforge.org/ . It’s open source (I think) and free without displaying advertising. They also have a semi-clone of Acrobat Pro for free.

I use CutePDF. all free, no hassles.
Steve, what about exporting to AI, open in AI then you can do whatever you want with it there to get it into photoshop.
Generally exporting curves AI will give much cleaner results. Most of the pdf printers including CutePDF will break up true curves into segmented lines.

Hi,
I came across Bullzip and PDFcreator in my browsing, saw something that put me off but I shall look again at a few more separate site reviews. Nero used to be my cd burning prog but reading up on it for win7, it now had sold its soul to the devil, very disappointing. Like some game designed to catch us out…
PDF995 and cute PDF I am not aware of so will explore.

Cheers
I need to create a file probably AO size and I am wondering which pdf prog will understand large sizes, I seem to recall with one I used to use it was stuck in the land of A4 and A3, doing anything else was a real battle.

How are yours at such tasks ? Both within Rhino and lets say, from another prog.

Most of the time it will be from Rhino, so if I have something which is an odd size and I see it fits onto A0 or A1, I drag the window out to fit it, ensure scale is 1:1 then go print pdf…can it cope ? Does it find the A0 option etc.

It is important that I can have the scale at 1:1 and also be able to indicate resolution, like 200dpi or 300 dpi.

Steve

For ordinary CD writing (data) you no longer need a 3rd party program, it’s native in Windows. If you want to copy an .iso, you need a freeware program though, I use ImgBurn.

Some people here use PDF creator which works OK - for A0 as well. Most people here have Acrobat, however, so they use the native Adobe pdf printer installed by it.

–Mitch

What’s a CD?

Just couldn’t resist… :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I am an Acrobat user, however I was winXP, now win7 so find myself spending lots of money on progs.

Adobe have gone pay and never own mode, which I wont do, as subs to Acrobat, Premiere pro, Photoshop are crippling when added up per month, I will seek out pre subs version if need be.

PDF Creator also was slated a bit in my readings the other day. I shall tread carefully.

anyone using a current PDF Creator ?

What do you folk use to print to large sizes, A0 or bigger ?

Steve

I have just looked at free pdf writers yet again and even those mentioned above have users and reviews still warning of bugs, adware, and other issues.
I havent found one to use yet.

has anyone a free pdf writer that has file sizes up to A0, doesnt contain bloatware, adware etc etc, doesnt cause problems, is squeeky clean etc, its all one big game trying to catch out the unwary.

Steve

I have used both PDF995 and BullZIP for years.
I have paid the nominal fees to stop the minimal advertizing the free versions have.
Both have been rock-solid for my needs which includes big sheet sizes.

Hi John
I see for Bullzip there is Community, Standard, Pro and Expert, with only Expert having Print to Printer ticked in the comparison list.,

Is that ‘print to printer’ the ability to select print in Rhino or other progs and have the output printed as a pdf file, or is it the ability to actually print to a printer ? I am after Rhino print option outputting pdf, for plans, or to get files into photoshop etc.

Which one of those four is yours ?

Steve

Mine is standard. I only use it to print to PDF from Rhino when I want a vector format PDF.

Hi John,
I google Bullzip standard as I will go with this .

and for standard the first reviewer says it adds malware.

I cant see in fact on Bullzip site a way of purchasing it as I hope doing so avoids the malware.

Whatever pdf maker I find I find a review about malware etc.

Steve

Bullzip here, 'cause it has options that allow script automation of various publishing needs. Like suppression of all dialog boxes, default plot file name etc.

???
…are you saying it has malware because it allows for script automation etc ?

not sure this clarifies things, where is the purchasable standard version that avoids malware ?

Steve

No, I’m saying that it has options that make Rhino scripts publish PDFs without a hassle. Options that other PDF drivers don’t have. There’s no malware in it or anything like that. Not even any ads.

Hi, sounds safe and good. Guess I shall risk it.

I need to also get Rhino into photoshop and with no eps export option, I wonder if pdf will enable a transparent background vector import such as eps would do. I gather Bullzip can do vector pdf. AI is the other option but opens with a size error as another post on this detailed.

Steve

Hi,
Discovered that Bullzip messes up decent Rhino printed images, coloured artefacts in areas of solid colour, text has frogspawn, all looking like high compression and spoiling the show., after all the effort that goes into a rhino model, then they get messed up in the simple act of pdf making.
The pro version I now discover allows for making a normal looking image, but at $82.80 versus $34.80 just to do so is beyond sense and sensible spending, and beyond my pocket.

So which pdf maker has no malware, and has option for NO COMPRESSION, as req’d for decent progs like Rhino.

Steve