Exception from hashlib.py, OS X 10.10.5, Python 2.7.10. (was: Which Python Standard Library should Rhino's IronPython use?)

Directory doesn’t exist on this machine…

@alain, can you try and repeat this bug?

It looks like you don’t have any remnants of the old python plug-in installed.

OK, something else wrong then… :confused:

I’m not having that problem. Let me look into it …
Alain

@jjpr,

I get the error with python 2.7.8 but not with 2.7.9.

Let me know if updating Python to 2.7.9 fixes your problem.

Alain

How do I know which version I have? All it says is 2.7… Somewhere I thought I even saw a reference to 2.7.10… Do Apple system updates install the latest Python version?

–Mitch

Hey Mitch,

Type:

python --version

at the command line.

OK, I had previously typed python -v and got a whole bunch of info…

Typing --version gets me 2.7.10… So the latest is installed (the system just auto-updated to 10.10.5 day before yesterday). Maybe that’s the problem?

Thanks, --Mitch

Yep. It doesn’t work in 2.7.10 for me as well )-:

From 2.7.8 to 2.7.9 a block of code that was removed from hashlib.py that was causing the problem but it was added back to 2.7.10.

OK, I guess that’s going to cause problems for a lot of people then as various systems update to 10.10.5… apparently out since 13 August, but since I was on vacation at that time…

Is this something that can be patched from the McNeel end of things? Even if so, I guess that would only mean it would be fixed for 5.1 and the WIP.

–Mitch

There’s more to this story.

I thought it was strange that a block had been removed just to be re-added in 2.7.10 so I downloaded the source code for 2.7.9 and the block of code is there (in hashlib.py) !

I have an idea what might be going on … investigating some more …

same here… recently updated to osx 10.10.5 and a script using random no longer works. (i have another computer that i can use the script on for now… i’ll make sure not to update the OS until this is cleared up tho :wink: )

Looks like I’m on 2.7.10 as well:

$ /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python -V
Python 2.7.10

I updated to 10.10.5 on 2015-08-18.

Well, the title I gave this thread is now completely inaccurate. Apologies, everyone. I’ll see if I can fix it.

Hey Alain,
Did you manage to track down anything…?
–Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Yes. The latest versions of python that come with osx are incompatible with IronPython. For that reason we need to bundle the Python standard library with Rhino for Mac just like we do on windows. I just made the changes and it will go out in a forthcoming release.

Alain

Wow… OK, thanks for fixing that! --Mitch

Edit: @Alain Oh, forgot to ask, the “forthcoming release”, will this be a 5.0.x update or will this have to wait to 5.1? Thanks!

Looks like the fix made it into the current 5.1 RC, thanks !! --Mitch

1 Like

thanks for the follow up mitch… updating osx now.

thanks @alain

Thanks, Mitch! I didn’t know the RC was available. (When the Beta program ended, I went legit and paid for a copy. Since then, I haven’t gotten notifications about WIP releases like I did during the Beta program.)

Under the 5.1 RC my scripts run like before the Python 2.7.10 update.

Thanks, @Alain!