Default "Project to CPlane" for 2D views?

Is there a way to always turn the “Project to Cplane” button in the Object Snap toolbar ON for the 2D view and make it optional for the 3D view?

I have a problem (actually with my memory… :wink: ) that I turn it off when working in Perspective and then forget to turn it back ON when I go to a 2D, then have a problem with it picking arbitrary points among objects that share a point in the 2D view.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I can’t imaging a use case to NOT have it project in a 2D viewport. If anyone has one, I would be curious to know what it is…

2 Likes

Well, I think the problem is that you’re considering viewports as 2D or 3D. That is incorrect. They are all 3D. What you are calling “2D” is just an orthographic parallel projection of your 3D scene. The depth is still there even if you don’t see it.

So a reason not to have project on in an Ortho viewport is when you are trying to snap to something that is not on the view Z0 plane, while looking at another Ortho or perspective viewport to confirm that the snap is indeed falling in the right place.

I could imagine an option to “Project all snaps to view CPlane if viewport is in parallel projection”, but as non-orthographic viewports can also be in parallel projection, that might also be problematic…

–Mitch

Thanks for the reply, Mitch.

Sorry I struggle with the terminology, but I realized it is as you are saying. But that’s what causes me trouble, because if I physically pick a point in a parallel protection by clicking, there is no way I can intend anything, but the " c plane that the parallel protection is pointing towards" (not sure the proper term for this…) because that is all the info I have from that view. I think usually the issue comes in when I am using the measure function trying to get a distance across that protection. (Again not sure of proper term for that…)

The think the option setting you mentioned about projecting in parallel protection would help this. But actually thinking more about it, maybe it would be unnecessary if Rhino simply showed the picker, like it does in the perspective view port when the point is ambiguous, instead of just selecting one of the points.

Thanks again,
Mike

I also face the same problem with Project in Perspective view. It would be so much better if there was a separate setting to turn on or off the project in 3d perspective view. Maybe split the “Project” into two ones: “Project 2D” and “Project 3D”?

Anyone found a solution to this? I would welcome either of the suggested solutions: either ‘Project 2D / Project 3D’ or ‘Project all snaps to view CPlane if viewport is in parallel projection’

1 Like

All - this feature is on our wish list as item RH-52229.
Thanks.

1 Like

Separate options for “Project 2D” and “Project 3D” are the best way to go. In any way, nice to see this getting under the radar for a future implementation. Thanks!

Thanks for adding this on the list and sorry for reviving this old thread but I thought that this was forgotten and for me, at least, it’s by far the most annoying (lack of) feature from Rhino.

I don’t know if it counts but everybody(and I’m not exaggerating) I worked with over the last 15 years that used Rhino was annoyed by the lack of this feature. In some cases this costed some serious time and money. So could you count an “up” for this one from about 18 people that couldn’t be bothered to write a message here? Also you could count another at least 10 “students” that I taught Rhino basics to and that couldn’t understand “why you have to press that button when you go in orthogonal views”.

Also maybe it’s worth noting that most of the CAD software do this by default.

1 Like

That feature was requested multiple times (in other threads, too) over the years. This particular topic is almost a decade old, the request is extremely important (optionally turn off the project in 3d viewsports with orthographic projection), yet the feature is non-existent even in the future Rhino 8.

By the way, the “Show Osnap panel” menu does nothing in my Rhino 8 BETA…

It looks like I need help understanding this one …

Isn’t that what the Rhino Options -> Modeling Aids -> Project object snaps to CPlane in plan parallel views lets you do? That is, check that option to only project snaps in plan parallel views and not project in perspective or 3D parallel views?
-wim

2 Likes

Yes, this does the job. Thanks!
I’m just wondering, why this particular super important option is not included in the quick pop-up panel accessible from the Osnap button located in the Status bar at the bottom of the screen? :slight_smile: I think that Project even deserves its own button on the Status bar to quickly toggle it on and off.

Wow I originally suggested this years ago and didn’t realize it was implemented.

Thank you!

Mike

Yes, this is what I was looking for, thank you. I didn’t know it was introduced because it didn’t crossed my mind to search deeper. I was expecting it to be as @Rhino_Bulgaria suggested easily accessible on the status bar as a separate check that I could see if it is on or off like “Ortho”, “Planar”, etc. Also I didn’t see it as solved in RH-52229 .
Can it be added as right click option on the “Project” toggle and when it’s checked to have a different color as the normal “Project”? For example project perspective / project parallel.

1 Like

Just a reminder that the “Show Osnap panel” menu is still not working on my latest Rhino 8 BETA (8.0.23297.13303, 2023-10-24) Commercial.

That makes it impossible to use the tickboxes to change the snap type.