Curve segment info

What’s the easiest way to get information on sub curves in a polycurve. Is using ExtractPolyCurveSegment to get a copy then deleting the copy like in the script below the only way?

Thanks Mark.

Option Explicit
'Script written by <insert name>
'Script copyrighted by <insert company name>
'Script version 19 June 2015 17:27:41

Call Main()
Sub Main()
	Dim Curve, i, count, strObject

Curve = Rhino.GetObject("Select polyCurve", 4, True)

If IsNull(Curve) Then Exit Sub

If Not Rhino.IsPolyCurve(Curve) Then Exit Sub

count = Rhino.PolyCurveCount(Curve)

For i = 0 To count - 1

strObject = Rhino.ExtractPolyCurveSegment(Curve, i)

If Rhino.IsArc(strObject) Then
			Rhino.Print("Curve " & i & " is an arc")
		End If

If Rhino.IsLine(strObject) Then
			Rhino.Print("Curve " & i & " is a line")
		End If

Call Rhino.DeleteObject(strObject)

Next

End Sub

Probably. With vbRhinoscript, you don’t have many possibilities to look as sub-level geometry without actually re-creating it and adding it to the document - via explode or duplicate or extract…

If you were to use Python, you could get at the sublevel objects via RhinoCommon and report their individual characteristics without actually having to extract or explode anything.

–Mitch

OK thanks Mitch, just wanted to check that I’m not missing an easy way.

Mark

An easier way with your script instead of using ExtractPolyCurveSegment might be to just use ExplodeCurves with delete set to no, then iterate through the results, and delete the array of exploded segments afterwards with DeleteObjects…

This might give you somewhat different (more reliable?) results, as IIRC polycurves can be composed of sub polycurves, so extracting a top-level segment might still yield another polycurve and not a line/arc/spline segment… Haven’t checked that though… Explode should get you to the lowest-level segments immediately.

–Mitch

I’m not sure, but the List command may also provide more info.

Can you get the info from List and use it in a script?

Mark.

Mitch I’ve redone the test script using ExplodeCurves but I’m not sure how to test it. I’ve tried joining 2 polycurves but the first script gives the same results as using ExplodeCurves. So how do you get a polycurve with sub polycurves?

Mark.

I used your ExplodeQuestion.3dm file from another thread and I see the difference between the scrips now. The script from my first post only sees 2 curves. Using the script below I get all 19 curves.

Option Explicit
'Script written by <insert name>
'Script copyrighted by <insert company name>
'Script version 19 June 2015 17:27:41

Call Main()
Sub Main()
	Dim Curve, i, count, strObject, arrCurves, arrPoint

Curve = Rhino.GetObject("Select polyCurve", 4, True)

If IsNull(Curve) Then Exit Sub

If Rhino.IsPolyCurve(Curve) Then
		arrCurves = Rhino.ExplodeCurves(Curve, False)
		i = 0
	Else
		Exit Sub
	End If

For Each strObject In arrCurves

arrPoint = Rhino.CurveMidPoint(strObject)

If Rhino.IsArc(strObject) Then
			Rhino.AddTextDot "Curve " & i & " is an arc", arrPoint
		ElseIf Rhino.IsLine(strObject) Then
			Rhino.AddTextDot "Curve " & i & " is a line", arrPoint
		Else
			Rhino.AddTextDot "Curve " & i & " is a curve", arrPoint
		End If

Call Rhino.DeleteObject(strObject)
		i = i + 1

Next

End Sub

Thanks Mark

No you can’t, but you can get the same info using Dump() method if I’m not mistaken.

http://4.rhino3d.com/5/rhinocommon/html/M_Rhino_Runtime_HostUtils_DebugDumpToString_1.htm

In RhinoScript you can get it using:

strDump = Rhino.ObjectDump(strObject, intType)

if you set intType to 0 you get the equivalent of the _What command, using a value of 3 instead returns an equivalent of the _List command. But it can be painful to filter the required information out from that large string returned.

c.

Thanks clement and menno, I knew there was a way to get the info without exploding the polycurves.

Mark.