Creating and Docking Tool Palettes

thanks.
but how to create new palettes?
In Rhinoceros for Windows we have a lot of palettes that we can turn on-off and freely attach around the screen. We can drag icons and reposition them freely. I love Rhinoceros GUI on Windows. On Mac it looks a different program.

regards

I don’t have my Mac here today, and it’s charrette week, so I don’t have that much time. Perhaps @jeff_hammond can explain here…

It is… tailored for people who are Mac users and mostly have never used Windows Rhino . --Mitch

Go to commands / customize …

Brings this window, to create a new palette click + at bottom of palettes section …

Now you have a new palette you can rename and drag & drop icons too.

You will have to access the palette through the window / Active Palettes menu.

IHTH «Randy

thank you but these are floating palettes I want to dock them.
I see tabs switching on Rhino Windows Theme. I’d like to create new tabs or modify the existent.
Show top tool palette option can help but we can have only one row.
I would like to organize palette on top, bottom, left and right not floating but docked.
The GUI is a little bit confusing.

regards

As I said, you can customize the Mac Rhino workspace to some extent… don’t expect it to be like windows Rhino… you’re only going to be disappointed. --Mitch

I already asked for this here …

Docking custom palettes & tabs not available yet :disappointed:

I have been using the Rhino Mac version now for three years intensively. It works absolutely fabulous and more rigorous than the Windows version.

But it lacks Absolutely (!) the docking possibility of icons as can be found in the Windows version. I still work with half the speed in comparison to the Windows version. Clicking on an icon (with triangle in the corner) gives a long palette with a lot of icons. Because of my Windows experience I knew the functionality of a lot of them. But new users will have a longer learning curve because of the impossibility to dock.

The reason is, when the palettes are docked, a quick try of a function is possible. With the long listing of icons as it’s now in the Mac version takes a long time (meaning loosing efficiency) to find the function we need and a good memory to remember where the used icon was. Happily I have a good memory, but still I’m sometimes searching to find an icon back that I didn’t use for a while (meaning loosing efficiency again). In short, without the docking possibility the Mac version becomes less user friendly, one of the reasons that I ever started with Rhino, in Windows…

that, to me, sounds like it’s not really a docking problem… you can tear off the sub-palletes and place them anywhere… you just can’t secure them to the rhino frame… instead, they float.

(option key + left mouse click on the icon to make the smaller palette separate from the main bar… amongst other ways to accomplish the same)

You may also try custom shortcuts (a.k.a. Aliases) for mostly used commands, and the menu.
You may just have a look there, too.

I´m using RhinoMac that way and therefore I get possibly the most screenspace available, especially in Fullscreen.

Floating palettes are a mixed bag. While they work, they get in the way of the view ports, often in the middle of some other operation requiring you to drag them someplace else to click where you need to in the viewport. While you could move them off the document window completely, this forces you to move the pointer a much larger distance to get to them which sort of defeats the purpose. I don’t mind a pop up dialog for what more or less amounts to a modal operation (specifying options for a given command, and in fact that’s how I’ve set my ui up, rather than having to go to the left to do so), but I’d far rather have the tools in a tab than on floating palettes.

Hi,
I’m a Rhinoceros for Windows user since the first beta was released 20-21 years ago.
I work with a large desktop full filled with Rhinoceros icons-commands.
Because I purchased an iMac 5K I tried Rhinoceros for Osx.
I think it does’t use retina display and I can’t personalize the interface, I want to organize the same tools I have on Windows.
I’d like to know if and when I could organize Rhinoceros working desktop on both o.s.

regards

Have a look at some of the info on this page.

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/retina

The Mac interface can be customized to some degree, but not to the same extent of the Windows interface. You will need to create a copy of the default tool palettes and customize that - the default set can’t be modified.

HTH,
–Mitch