Coordinate Input Panel?

I’m working on building a terrain model, but I’ve flattened all the contours I imported from a CAD drawing so I can clean them up more easily. When I’m done, I want to bring them back up to their correct real-world elevations. I know I can do this by moving them along the z-axis (or by setting up a script in Grasshopper, but in AutoCAD, one can specify the elevation of a curve directly in the properties panel, and I don’t see that capability for a planar curve or a point in Rhino (other than being able to view the coordinate data, but not edit it, in the Properties panel via the Details button). Is there any way to do this other than the methods I’ve described?

Hi Rob - it is not exactly the same but SetPt, in Z only, will help. You could macro the ‘dash’ version like so:

! _-SetPt _Pause
_XSet=_No _YSet=_No
_ZSet=_Yes
_Alignment=_World
_Copy=_No

Then, at the next prompt, just type in the Z value and .

-Pascal

I knew that method too but forgot to mention it in my post, but thanks anyway! Fingers crossed, any chance something like a parametric type of coordinate panel might be built in into R6?

What about BoxEdit or am I missing something.

Mark.

Hello Pascal,
My question would be irrelevant to the subject of your discussion.
I just wanted to know if there is a way to use VBA at the background to draw prismatic members using their coordinates.
i just want to use Rhino to develop my model and get it defined in my structural analysis program
your response will be highly appreciated

thanks

Celal

Hi Celal - I’d need some clear example file with the input and desired output, to even be able to hazard a guess…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

The abutment element in a bridge system is a very simple structure where its members are comprised of all prismatic members.
I just want to be able to create them by connecting the dots of that 8 noded prismatic member.

Copy the link to your browser to see what I meant.

typical bridge seat abutment - Bing images

Thanks

CK

If you have “dots” representing the corners in 3D and the surfaces will be planar, then creating a model of the object may be as simple as:

1. Connect the dots with lines. Use the Line command with the point Osnap turned on.
  2. Select the appropriate lines and use PlanarSrf to create the surfaces.
  3. Join as appropriate.

@Celal_KIRANDAG How much experience do you have using Rhino? Have you used any other 3D modeling software?

If you are not familiar with Rhino then you may want to start with some of the videos and tutorials available at Rhino - Learn to use Rhino

Hello David,
Thanks for your response to my message.
I have automated this method in Microstation to draw the complete model of the project i was involved.
it was done in excel vba and i did exactly how you described it.
8 points created
12 lines created by those points
6 surfaces created by those lines
and surfaces stitched together to create 3d volume (object)

i just want to be able to do these operation in Rhino by using excel vba

is it possible?

thanks again for your reply

CK

@Celal_KIRANDAG You should start a new thread with your question.

A search of this forum for “VBA” returns multiple threads about using Rhino with Excel VBA.

ok Will do,