Configuring a Logitech mouse

Continuing the discussion from Single Window Modeling:

With the Logitech Control center, you want to assign actions to the different mouse buttons. Assign the Advanced Click action to each of the extra buttons, then pick a button number greater than 3. Button 1 is the left mouse button, button 2 is the right mouse button, and button 3 is the middle mouse button.

Logitech allows you to assign button numbers up to 8, so you are restricted (by Logitech) to a maximum of 8 different mouse buttons.

Thank you for this, Marlin. I’ll try again when I get a chance to play. I think I had tried your suggestion but can’t now recall for sure. For now LCC is uninstalled and I do still get 7 buttons in Mac Rhino with the Performance MX by default…pretty good all things considered! Wheel Left, Wheel Right, and Tilt…just gluttony perhaps :).

I have the Logitech Marathon Mouse M705 that I have seen other users on the forum discussing and using. I would like to configure it and I see this explanation. I have the same question but need a much more basic step by step answer starting with using the Logitech Control Panel ie. what I should set each mouse control to…and then the Rhino preferences ie. how to get to them and what to set each one to. I am an absolute Rhino beginner using the test version of RHINO for MAC. I would like to set up the same button gestures I use AutoCAD because they are so automatic for me. In AutoCAD I have the left button for Click, the Right button for Return, the middle button (scroll wheel button or one of 2 thumb buttons can be used in the case of the Logitech Marathon Mouse) that pops up a OSNAP menu so I can select what I want to snap to and my mouse does not have to move from the work space area in the drawing I am working on to do so. Anyway, I went into Rhino Preferences and cannot figure it out. Thanks for any help you can give me, I am anxious to get going with Rhino!

if you go Rhinoceros-> Preferences-> Mouse-> Buttons

then click your various mouse buttons while the cursor is over the dialog, do any of the button names (button4, button4, etc) highlight in yellow?

if so, these are the buttons you’ll be able to assign commands to.

in rhino, the left button is already click and the right one is return… for the osnap functionality you’re describing, there’s a mac rhino command _ToggleOsnapPanelUnderCursor …so when you’re in the mouse button preferences, if one of the buttons highlight yellow, put that command in the field for the button then when you click the button in rhino, the osnap panel will toggle on/off under your cursor.

[edit] hmm… just noticed you asked something similar in a Rhino for Windows thread whereas this one is in Rhino for Mac.
are you on mac? if not, ignore the stuff i said earlier :wink:

Yes I am on a Mac. The problem is when I go into the Preferences window for the mac to set mouse buttons none of the boxes lights up when I press the extra buttons on my mouse. So then I just put in “alt” in the first box to see if then when I press any of the buttons on the mouse which one would activate the “alt” key. None of the buttons did.

Also, I already have not problem toggling on and off the OSNAP with the alt key, but I want to be able to specifically pick with OSNAP I want to use, for instance the endpoint, not just turn all on or off. I don’t want to have to move my curser to click over to the OSNAP box everytime while I am in the middle of a command. In ACAD just under my cursor the OSNAP box comes up with a list and I just click on the one I want or type a keyboard shortcut with my left hand for that particular specific OSNAP that I need.

OK now I see this is absolutely about me learning to work with Rhino a bit differently, so no reply needed. I realize now the whole point of Rhino is to indicate which snap your cursor is on and tell you if it is the END pt as opposed to Intersection, etc. as you hover over with your cursor before you click on something. That seems to meet this need with a different approach so I think I can work with this and in some ways I think I will find its better, although a bit more “eye intensive” as I learned when using Archicad vs Autocad for similar reasons.

Thank you. Yes I see this but unfortunately Rhino is not recognizing my
buttons. When I press one of my additional mouse buttons, none of the
command input areas/the field lights up to show me which button is
linked to that input box. When I put an input in one of the field boxes
(I used ALT in the button 4) to see if I could figure out what mouse
button it is linked to, none of the mouse buttons that I pressed became
that key.

On 2015-01-23 16:45, jeff hammond wrote:

jeff_hammond [1]
January 23

LOOK:

Anyway, I went into Rhino Preferences and cannot figure it out. Thanks for any help you can give me, I am anxious to get going with Rhino!

if you go Rhinoceros-> Preferences-> Mouse-> Buttons

then click your various mouse buttons while the cursor is over the dialog, do any of the button names (button4, button4, etc) highlight in yellow?

if so, these are the buttons you’ll be able to assign commands to.

LOOK:

left button for Click, the Right button for Return, the middle button (scroll wheel button or one of 2 thumb buttons can be used in the case of the Logitech Marathon Mouse) that pops up a OSNAP menu so I can select what I want to snap to and my mouse does not have to move from the work space area in the drawing I am working on to do so.

in rhino, the left button is already click and the right one is return… for the osnap functionality you’re describing, there’s a mac rhino command _ToggleOsnapPanelUnderCursor …so when you’re in the mouse button preferences, if one of the buttons highlight yellow, put that command in the field for the button then when you click the button in rhino, the osnap panel will toggle on/off under your cursor.

To respond, reply to this email or visit Configuring a Logitech mouse - #4 by jeff_hammond [2] in your browser.

PREVIOUS REPLIES

LOOK [3]
January 23

I have the Logitech Marathon Mouse M705 that I have seen other users on the forum discussing and using. I would like to configure it and I see this explanation. I have the same question but need a much more basic step by step answer starting with using the Logitech Control Panel ie. what I should set each mouse control to…and then the Rhino preferences ie. how to get to them and what to set each one to. I am an absolute Rhino beginner using the test version of RHINO for MAC. I would like to set up the same button gestures I use AutoCAD because they are so automatic for me. In AutoCAD I have the left button for Click, the Right button for Return, the middle button (scroll wheel button or one of 2 thumb buttons can be used in the case of the Logitech Marathon Mouse) that pops up a OSNAP menu so I can select what I want to snap to and my mouse does not have to move from the work space area in t! he drawin g I am working on to do so. Anyway, I went into Rhino Preferences and!
cannot
figure it out. Thanks for any help you can give me, I am anxious to get going with Rhino!

ec2638 [4]
June 12

Thank you for this, Marlin. I’ll try again when I get a chance to play. I think I had tried your suggestion but can’t now recall for sure. For now LCC is uninstalled and I do still get 7 buttons in Mac Rhino with the Performance MX by default…pretty good all things considered! Wheel Left, Wheel Right, and Tilt…just gluttony perhaps .

marlin [5]
June 6

Continuing the discussion from Single Window Modeling [6]:

ec2638 said:

Correct. Sorry for not including an illustration. A method to determine the space illustrated in yellow above would make Top edge practical on the primary screen. Not being a programmer, however, I take your word for it. Sounds exotic. Makes useful sense for a secondary screen, and consistency is logical.

Indeed! Uncanny timing. Just yesterday my trusty approx. decade old top of the line (at the time) Logitech died. Ran out and bought a LOGITECH PERFORMANCE MOUSE MX as replacement. Per Logitech’s web site it has 9 buttons. My question is - how many can I make usable in Mac Rhino?

So, without Logitech Control Center installed, beyond left/right/middle(wheel down) clicks, Rhino automatically responds to the indicated Performance MX button numbers shown below.

Trying to get Rhino to recognize the remaining buttons, which are wheel left, wheel right, and “tilt.” (Logitech calls “mouse tilt” a button…and that equals 10 buttons total per my math???) I installed Logitech Control Center. With LLC installed I could not get Rhino to respond to anything beyond left/right/middle in the default config. I created a Rhinoceros application config in LCC and played around with several settings for the buttons without success…Rhino recognized nothing beyond left/right/middle until I uninstalled LCC.

It is quite possible, however, that I did not try hard enough, missed something, etc… I wanted to ask first before continuing to bang my head.

Thank you!

With the Logitech Control center, you want to assign actions to the different mouse buttons. Assign the Advanced Click action to each of the extra buttons, then pick a button number greater than 3. Button 1 is the left mouse button, button 2 is the right mouse button, and button 3 is the middle mouse button.

Logitech allows you to assign button numbers up to 8, so you are restricted (by Logitech) to a maximum of 8 different mouse buttons.

To respond, reply to this email or visit Configuring a Logitech mouse - #4 by jeff_hammond [2] in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences [7].

Links:

OK I am sorry but new to this whole Online Forum thing…seems like the way I am replying is sending things in circles. I have read everything in this thread but still have the following issues to solve:

When I push one of my “extra” mouse buttons by my thumb (I have the same mouse as shown in the image on this thread - Logitech Marathon Mouse M705) none of the input fields lights up at all. How do I fix this?

My right button does not work as “return” when I am in a command. For example when I draw a line by clicking with the left click to place the first point, then go to place the second point by clicking elsewhere again with the left click, then when I right click to “return” the line disappears and cancels rather than accepts that I have chosen the second point and want to complete the line.

In theory, you do not need return for Line - 2 left clicks make a line and the command finishes. For Polyline, of course, you need an Enter to tell Rhino when you have finished adding segments. Right click should always serve as Enter, unless you have gone into Preferences>Mouse, enabled context menus with 0 delay - which effectively will prevent the RMB from sending an Enter (IIRC).

–Mitch

Hmmm I have “Enabled context menus” enabled, however the delay setting is 300 milliseconds. Is that essentially so close to a 0 value as to act the same?

No, that’s the default value and should work fine… So you’re not getting any Enter at all with the RMB? Are you getting anything at all? What about in any other programs? Do you get at least a context menu?

–Mitch

Was messing with my mouse trying to get my extra buttons configured in Rhino. I do get a context menu and now I am actually getting Return to work with the right click. Perhaps it has all resolved itself now that I have used my mouse outside Rhino a bit. Thank you.

I read everything above as I too am trying to work in Rhino with the Logitech Marathon Mouse M705. I have gone into the LCC and have the following settings:
Left Button: Click
Right Button: Right Click
MicroGearPrecision Scroll Wheel: Vertical Scroll
MicroGearPrecision Scroll Wheel Button: Advanced Click
Scroll Wheel - Tilt Left: Horizontal Scroll
Scroll Wheel - Tilt Right: Horizontal Scroll
Thumb Back Button: Advanced Click
Thumb Forward Button: Advanced Click
Hidden Thumb Button: Advanced Click

None of the input boxes for the mouse buttons light up in the Rhino Preferences mouse setting dialogue box. I also typed ALT into one of the fields trying out each mouse button to see which button would activate the ALT key and got no results. Any ideas how I can get the full capabilities of my mouse going for Rhino?

can you temporarily disable the logitech control center?
idk, i’ve always used logitech mice with macs but i never use their drivers… osx drives it fine then i customize the mice per application when applicable (such as with rhino)

but maybe there’s some sort of conflict happening with LCC and rhino being able to recognize the buttons?

Ok I will try this. In fact I did not have LCC installed and the mouse worked fine without it. I only just installed LCC thinking it would be the way to set up all the buttons for Rhino. Thank you for the suggestions, will let you know how it goes.

Hey, Anyone got the extra buttons working with the new Logitech Options software? The is no way to set a click to “click 4” etc. …

using the latest Rhino 5 Mac and an MX Master. …Would love to set the thumb button that it works for panning. so i don’t have to press shift all the time…

@alsebka there is still that option as Marlin explained on top to address the buttons with numbers or anything else. you can also make profiles in the logitech software so the buttons only act as num pad numbers for instances in rhino where you make a shortcut in the command editor.