Complete restoration of (cuts in) curves?

Hi all,

Apart from using join, is it possible to rejoin curves to get rid of any cuts so they’ll never explode anymore?

Stage one - Stage two
I have a set of basic “reference” curves with shapes which are the result of gradually drawing and testing and… now they have the desired shape. Stage one is completed.

Stage two - But a few cuts & joins in the curves are not in the right place. The problem is that the final locations of the cuts will move just a few millimeter, leaving very short stumps, and so my curves will be very difficult to manage with explode and join.

Q: So, is there a way to “rejuvenate” the curves to get rid of the cuts altogether (so they won’t explode).

// Rolf

Pst: I thought I’d be smart and trick Rhino by closing the curves, and making a surface, and then run Duplicate Edge on the surface but, the new curves also has the original cuts when exploding them…! Either I’m not smart or Rhino isn’t smart… :slight_smile:

Is rebuilding using enough points an option? It will never be exactly the same curve, but using enough points you get extremely close to the original curve.

Yes, it is. I already simplified them significantly using FitCrv, and no problem, I can increase the points and rebuild. Will Rebuild fix the curve? (well, I will test that).

// Rolf

Edit: Yep, that did the trick. Thanks. In a case like this where I started from “freehand” I found that, if specifying a few more points than original when Rebuilding, those “extra points” tends to lump together on the curve where the curvature isn’t really optimal. If such a lumped sequence isn’t right on an exact dimension, then it’s a good indicator for where to clean up some dots manually (after rebuild). So, this “rebuild deviation” will now be part of my workflow for freehand curves :slight_smile:

Hi Rolf - if the segments are curvature continuous, you can use the Match command with the Merge option set.

-Pascal

@Pascal, Ah, that’s an even better way in most cases! Many thanks!

// Rolf

I use this all the time delete the cv point that joins the two curves. Most of the time it works well and you can simply pull around some points to get the old curve shape back. It’s more for quick modeling.
RM

Bright idea!

I tried this, and I found out that in order to make it easier to restore the curvature after deleting the joining ControlPoint one can first insert a Point in the position of the original joining ControlPoint (CP) before deleting the CP. Then InsertControlPoint back to the curve again, and snap into position when the CP is on top of the Point - then the curve will “jump back” to its original curvature again (well, pretty close anyway)

One may have to move the curve a bit after removing the joining CP as to make the curve to rebuild away the old cut, which is no problem since the position of the original ControlPoint is “stored” in the Point object.

Many thanks, this was a very useful idea!

// Rolf

Hi Rolf,
The insertion of the points a you described will give a better result glad you posted that.
RM

1 Like