CommandHelp video creates script error despite latest flash reader and java

Hi,
V5 5.9.40609.20145 SR9 64bit

I have put back onto a rebuilt PC my acronis backup from Oct 2014 of my C drive. back then I was able to run command help and the little videos.

Had a prompt to install Adobe Flash reader pop up within Rhino so rather than go yes and get the bundled McAfee nasty that Adobe still insist on doing to the unwary unless one unticks the option to include it on their website, I visit website and download and then install latest reader V16.0.0.305

Reboot PC to be sure.
run Rhino V5 and still get this attached message.

as it says .js maybe thats java ? so update java to latest V8 Update 31, verify install ok, reboot Pc, try commandhelp video, same message !

Steve

I think this is something @margaret knows about

Hi Steve,

Since you mention installing the latest adobe reader I think you mixed up some software (both from adobe)
What you need is the flash player (not the pdf reader).
It can be found here (link below) and indeed you need to watch out what options to leave checked to avoid crap-ware being installed alongside.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

HTH
-Willem,

Hi Willem,
It was the flash player I installed, i just looked at the history of browsing as well as the file I downloaded.

Steve

1 Like

any ideas on how to get command help to work ?

Steve

Please … can’t learn Rhino with CommandHelp videos dead.

Steve

Try using the proper Windows procedure to remove Flash Player. Then reinstall it from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ Uncheck the box for also installing Google Chrome or anything else you don’t want.

…and make sure you install the flash player for Internet Explorer, even if you don’t use it as a browser. IIRC, it’s the only one that works with the Rhino Help videos. --Mitch

Hi,
Ok

I went control panel and uninstalled flash player, rebooted pc , back to the adobe website as per link, untick mcAfee option, saved the file, ran it as admin, (as this is correct way, I normally just double click the exe. I run PC as admin anyway, no log in stuff…) and it installed.
reboot pc and run rhino v5, commandHelp and play a vid and still I get that script error.

Now I see your post Mitch, where is that option,

I have , having seen your post, revisited again that link, there is no option to get it for IE, just to untick McAfee and then there is an Install button,
Click that and I get a save file option, so save it, then run that exe and no option anywhere for IE.

Its the same procedure I have been presented with and used this last few months and not had a problem with V5 before.

Steve

Video

Cheers,
If I install this, what about that installed for Firefox which is my Internet Browser and the only browser I use now ?

Can I have two flash readers on the PC, or do I have to remove the one I currently have which was 64bit Firefox ?
If I do so, will that deny me viewing Flash movies in Firefox. I also use DownloadHelper plugin for Firefox to capture these flash movies, including training ones, from popular online movie sites, we all know one that springs to mind. The reason for sticking with Firefox.

I have always gone with the Firefox one, and been able to view commandHelp vids.

Steve

Should be no problem, I’ve done this in the past. One doesn’t affect the other. I’m not sure why your stuff doesn’t work, or if what I suggested will fix it, but it’s worth a try.

–Mitch

Hi,
Flash player for IE installed, and IE up to date, and all is well,
Cheers

Steve