Color settings on layers

Is it possible to set color settings on layers by CMYK rather than RGB and HSV?

Thanks,

Michael Deimen

1 Like

Hi Michael- no, currently the color picker is what you see, no other options available. It is probably possible, assuming you know the cmyk numbers, to make a script that converts, but you would not be using an interactive cmyk color picker, just telling the thing what the numbers are- does that seem useful?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
It might if I had any idea how to write a “script”, but I’ve never even tried such a thing. Unless you can provide a tutorial, I’ll just have to live without.

Thanks for the quick response,

Michael Deimen

Hi Michael - I think I can make the script if that workflow (i.e. you already know the cmyk numbers) will work for you.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

The offer is much appreciated. What I need is a script that allows me to plug in different CMYK numbers. I have a range of color settings I’d like to employ. Is that possible with a script or do I need to write a unique script for every color setting? If so perhaps you can give me the low-down on how to write the script and I can just keep recreating it.

Best,
Michael D.

Hi Michael - one script should do it- can you post a range of numbers as you’ll want to enter them, so I can make sure to test the right thing?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I’ll send you something tomorrow morning once I’m back at work. Thanks again for the help!

Best, Michael Deimen812-630-2165 Ph

To: mdeimen@yahoo.com

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 6:05 PM

Subject: [McNeel Forum] [Rhino for Windows] Color settings on layers

pascal

November 24Hi Michael - one script should do it- can you post a range of numbers as you’ll want to enter them, so I can make sure to test the right thing?-PascalTo respond, reply to this email or visit http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/color-settings-on-layers/14292/6 in your browser.

Previous Replies

mdeimen

November 24Hi Pascal,The offer is much appreciated. What I need is a script that allows me to plug in different CMYK numbers. I have a range of color settings I’d like to employ. Is that possible with a script or do I need to write a unique script for every color setting? If so perhaps you can give me the low-down on how to write the script and I can just keep recreating it. Best,

Michael D.

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/color-settings-on-layers/14292/6 in your browser.To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

Hi Pascal,

The following CMYK combinations should serve as a good test bed for the script:

C-12 M-49 Y-39 K-0

C-15 M-100 Y-72 K-40

C-99 M-38 Y-20 K-24

C-60 M-70 Y-18 K-2

C-34 M-54 Y-73 K-0

C-5 M-17 Y-33 K-0

C-62 M-40 Y-18 K-0

C-73 M-38 Y-79 K-10

Thanks for the help,

Michael Deimen

Hi Michael - there are different ways to express the values … it looks to me like these are in a range of 0-100, correct, not 0-255? I’ll make the thing ask for a layer and then the color values- we’ll try that first.

@mdeimen, try this one and see how it works - Unzip, save, then then drag and drop the rvb file onto an open Rhino window to add the alias

CMYKLayerColor

this will work much like a regular command. Hmm - I’ll check this against V4 - it should work but I’ll make sure in a bit here. Yep, seems to work in V4, assuming I am guessing right about how the CMYK numbers should be interpreted.

CMYKLayers.zip (712 Bytes)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yes you are indeed correct. Zero to 100 seems to be the range for each color concentration. I’ll give what you’ve sent a try and let you know if it works.

Best,
mD

Hi Pascal,

I’m not sure what you meant by “add the alias.” I did the drag and drop. The command record came up with:

"Command: _-LoadScript
Script file to load ( List ): “C:\Users\deimenml\Desktop\CMYK Script from Pascal\CMYKLayers.rvb”

What should I be seeing now and where should I see it?

mD

Hi Pascal,

The following was the result of the drag and drop…

Command: _-LoadScript
Script file to load ( List ): "C:\Users\deimenml\Desktop\CMYK Script from Pascal\CMYKLayers.rvb"
Command: _Save
Error replacing backup file “H:\Core Projects\Glass Whiteboards\Rhino\Glass Marker Board_11_24_14.3dmbak” with original file “H:\Core Projects\Glass Whiteboards\Rhino\Glass Marker Board_11_24_14.3dm” and original file “H:\Core Projects\Glass Whiteboards\Rhino\Glass Marker Board_11_24_14.3dm” with temp file "H:\Core Projects\Glass Whiteboards\Rhino\RHI6579.tmp"
Replace file function failed with error code 0.
Error writing file H:\Core Projects\Glass Whiteboards\Rhino\Glass Marker Board_11_24_14.3dm
Unable to save file as H:\Core Projects\Glass Whiteboards\Rhino\Glass Marker Board_11_24_14.3dm

Your thoughts?

Hmmm - the script does nothing with save… but typing in CMYKLayerColor should autocomplete and run like a command… does that work?

-Pascal

It Works!!! Thanks Pascal, much appreciated.

Hi Pascal ! Can you upload the script again !? Thank you

CMYKLayers.zip (712 Bytes)

Here you go…

-Pascal