Can we exchange platform licenses? Rhino5 WIN for Rhino5 OSX?

Ok, Iā€™ll stay tuned over the next few days both on the forums and at the http://www.rhino3d.com/mac site. Thanks. :unamused:

You might check that site again nowā€¦

It would be great if could make it so your uk distributors sell the Mac version at the introductory price ASAP?

Some distributors may not have ā€œturned onā€ their Rhino for Mac pages/info yet, as the official announcement is for Mondayā€¦ Suggest you check with your favorite distributor then. --Mitch

Fantastic! Thanks Dan, ordering nowā€¦

The problem here in Britian is dealers are usually ignorant- my own personal experience that is!-I will check for an update monday but if dealers donā€™t offer us it on monday???

Well, I donā€™t know all of the dealers in the UK, but one of the largest and most active ones is a good friend and he and his team are far from ignorant. Their main page has ā€œMac coming soonā€ right at the top, so Iā€™m willing to bet the sales stuff is ready to be switched on tomorrow morning.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find someone who will.

Edit: As I suspected, the site I mentioned above now has now ā€œswitched onā€ their Rhino for Mac sales. Itā€™s right in the front page.

ā€“Mitch

The Mac Intro price is VERY reasonable. For my part Iā€™m thrilled to have the opportunity for dual Win/Mac licenses for a such a price. I rave to others about how McNeel is the model for a fair minded and responsive software company, and once again they exceed my expectations. Intuit please take noteā€¦

So, even if You asked kindly for mac license number, you would not get it, would You? Am I right?

Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t understand the question hereā€¦

I suspect the number of users wanting to give up their WinRhino license in exchange solely for a MacRhino license will be very small. If McNeel were to permit this exchange they would likely win far more goodwill than they would lose financially. Thus, this would not only be pretty cool, it would be proof positive of just how good MacRhino has become in the eyes of some users.

Now, is this ā€œtechnicallyā€ possible? That oneā€™s for McNeel to answer!

Technically possible, yes. All they have to do is ā€œinvalidateā€ the license in their database. The license locally installed will of course keep working, but they can no longer get service releases or use it to upgrade.

However, all of that is moot, Windows Rhino users who actively tested Mac Rhino had a special (non-public) pre-release offer to acquire Mac Rhino at a price that was ā€œalmost freeā€. So there was actually no need to give up their Windows license.

IMO, the special intro price of 295 is already a giveaway compared to the Windows license price of 995.

ā€“Mitch

Really !! I had a win rhino license, but never got an offer of update. I purchased at the current price. Was this offer only for latest Windows version. As I had hung onto my old license ?

Yes, you had to be a registered Rhino 5 for Windows user and have actively tested Mac Rhino (I donā€™t know what the criteria was for that).

Ok, thats fair enough, as the price I paid was equal to an update. Cheers for clarification.

Yep :wink: Iā€™m very happy :smiley:

Philip

The Modo licensing scheme is nice. You buy one license and you can use it on any platform you wish; Windows, Mac or Linux.

Same with Adobe. I love the Creative Cloud too, the ability to download and use on any platform is just right.

mcneel should do thatā€¦ then youā€™d only have to pay 295 for a mac license and use it on windows :wink:

what i expect to happen (for no actual reason) is that the two versions will eventually meld together more and Rhino for Mac -or- Rhino for Windows will just become Rhino againā€¦ (well, iā€™m sure itā€™s still just rhino if youā€™re a windows user)ā€¦ a license will cost the same for either platform.

right now, theyā€™re more-or-less separate products.

2 Likes

The actual reason, IMO, is convenience and modernity, once both are more equal. Until then, the discount/separation is logical.

1 Like